Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Slow searches in VS2019 with VisualAssist enabled

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jakeslade Posted - Sep 22 2020 : 10:20:23 AM
Hi, recently purchased VAX after toying with the idea for some time. Has been a joy to use so far, but today, I've ran into some issues which I'm unsure how to solve.

I followed the instructions here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/?W133

In case it's of any significance, when I restarted my solution, I noticed that the 'Enhanced Listboxes' preferences (as well as Mouse preferences that I'd changed) were no longer applied.

I later re-enabled the default intellisense for Visual Studio as I missed it quite sorely.

This was all in the space of about 30 mins.

Since then, when I run a search using Visual Studio's default Find and Replace window (Ctrl-Shift-F) with Visual Assist enabled, it takes upwards of 10 seconds to complete.

When I disable Visual Assist, search takes ~1 second to return results, even in large solutions, as it always had in VS 2019.

Not sure what could be causing this, does anybody have any ideas? I've had to disable the extension for now as I rely quite heavily on this feature of VS.

Cheers,

Jake
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 28 2020 : 08:45:33 AM
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Is your solution just C++, or a mixture of different languages?

Your solution really isn't that large at all, so solution size should not be a factor here. Is your solution on a local drive, or some form of mapped network drive?

I am thinking about a simple open source solution we could both test and compare, to see if we get the same results or not. This is a useful project, but you do need a codeproject account to download the source code zip file:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5371/ToDoList-8-0-An-Effective-and-Flexible-Way-to-Keep
Alan Baljeu Posted - Oct 27 2020 : 2:13:00 PM
Maybe this makes a difference: my solution is 2500 files.
Alan Baljeu Posted - Oct 27 2020 : 2:09:52 PM
I'm finding more cases. VS Find all References hung until I disabled the extension then instant results. This occurs in both profiles.
Alan Baljeu Posted - Oct 27 2020 : 1:06:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Interesting, this means there is something in your default profile that is causing the problem.

Have you tried exporting your IDE and VA settings from your default profile and importing them into the second profile yet? I just wanted to check that this isn't causing the problem to reappear. If not, do you have any extensions installed in your default profile that are not installed into your test profile?

I'm not clear I can still do this, given I followed your process and (I think) eliminated the problem.

Maybe this is unrelated, maybe not: Visual Studio has a context command to generate a class declaration from a .cpp definition. It opens a little yellow text editor window within the .cpp document window. With visual assist on, this window hangs.
feline Posted - Oct 27 2020 : 05:37:04 AM
Interesting, this means there is something in your default profile that is causing the problem.

Have you tried exporting your IDE and VA settings from your default profile and importing them into the second profile yet? I just wanted to check that this isn't causing the problem to reappear. If not, do you have any extensions installed in your default profile that are not installed into your test profile?
Alan Baljeu Posted - Oct 26 2020 : 4:38:56 PM
I corroborate this problem. Following the /RootSuffix process, the problem is solved. I think.
jakeslade Posted - Sep 24 2020 : 10:13:21 AM
It is quite baffling, but I'm relieved! My best guess would be that as you mentioned, something with my IDE profile was corrupted, and for whatever reason exporting the profile fixed whatever it was. I don't understand Visual Studio as well as I'd like to, though (boo Windows).

Thanks again for your help.
feline Posted - Sep 23 2020 : 10:35:26 AM
Thank you for the update. I am a little surprised this fixed the problem, but I am really glad this was fixed so easily.
jakeslade Posted - Sep 23 2020 : 08:20:25 AM
Using the test instance with my main solution loaded and profile imported, everything appears to be ok. So I reset my main IDE settings & re-imported them, which somehow seems to have resolved the issue. Search speed is fast once again!

Thanks for your help feline, much appreciated!
feline Posted - Sep 23 2020 : 06:55:29 AM
It is possible that something has become corrupted inside your IDE profile. To test this, can you please close all instances of the IDE and then run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

you will obviously need to edit the path if you are not using the Professional version of VS2019, or have installed it to a different location.

This will create and load a new, default profile for Visual Studio, so you will be asked which basic settings you want to use, and you should only have the standard, default IDE extensions installed. Visual Assist will not be installed into this profile, so you will need to go into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and install Visual Assist from the online extension store, to install VA for this test profile.

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other, but this tends to get confusing, so is normally best avoided. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

If you load your main solution into the test profile, with VA enabled, do you still see the problem, or does the IDE find in files now run at the right speed?
jakeslade Posted - Sep 23 2020 : 05:29:38 AM
Hi feline,

Opening one instance of VS, setting preferences, and then closing the solution seems to have done the trick for persisting my preferences. Thanks!

I do often work with 3-4 instances of VS open at once. However, even with only one solution open, and no active background tasks, search is still very slow.

I do understand it seems more like an issue with Visual Studio than VA, but I'm baffled by the fact that disabling VA immediately resolves the problem.

Sadly, reinstalling VS isn't really a viable option for me.
feline Posted - Sep 22 2020 : 3:00:20 PM
I knew this sounded familiar, someone else reported a similar problem a few days ago, which was fixed by an IDE uninstall and reinstall. There are other things we can try that might fix this problem if you have a similar issue, without needing the uninstall / reinstall, so please don't rush down that route.

https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19035
feline Posted - Sep 22 2020 : 2:58:56 PM
In theory VA should not have any effect on the speed of the IDE's Find in Files feature. The only time there should be an impact is if VA is still parsing code for your solution or stable include directories. In this case the impact will be because your system is busy with VA parsing, ideally as fast as possible, thus competing with the IDE for system resources.

Do you often work with more than one instance of the IDE open at a time?

I ask since VA saves out its settings on exit. So if you open two instances of the IDE, then change a VA mouse preference in the first instance of the IDE, and close this instance, the changed setting will be written out then. But when you then close the second instance it will write out its unchanged VA settings, overwriting your setting change.

This is also a possible factor in the slow search. VA keeps a separate copy of its symbol database for each instance of the IDE you open. So if you have more than one instance of the IDE open, each with a very large solution open, then this will use quite a bit of CPU time and system resources to parse.

Does this sound like what is happening? If VA is parsing you should see status messages about VA parsing on the IDE status bar.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000