Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA View needs some love...

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BeigeAlert Posted - Aug 18 2020 : 4:27:39 PM
I'm currently working on a very large project with a very... shall we say... "relaxed" approach to naming conventions. Having the following improvements to VA View would be a HUGE help. :)

1. Please make it work with partial file names, like variable names work.
Eg. If I type "gamemodesettings", this should also reveal files like "gamemode_settings".
Eg2. If I type "gamemode", please make it also reveal files like "some_prefix_gamemode".

2. Please stop hiding the dropdown when I click a file. Sometimes I want to click more than one and it's a bit of a pain to type it all out again.

3. Perhaps it would be best to split this into two windows: "VA View Files" and "VA View Symbols", so that way keeping the lists like #2 requested wouldn't be an issue.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 20 2020 : 07:00:18 AM
If you like keyboard shortcuts, Open File in Solution is Alt-Shift-O
and Find Symbol in Solution is Alt-Shift-S

Also, you can use minus sign to filter out entries in both dialogs and in VA View, and even in the Alt-M list. So to extend the earlier example, the search:

game mode -setting

will find any symbol with both "game" and "mode" but will filter out any symbol containing "setting". Useful for filtering out based on class name.
BeigeAlert Posted - Aug 19 2020 : 8:43:28 PM
Ah, no I was not aware of those buttons. Thanks!
feline Posted - Aug 19 2020 : 06:38:29 AM
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Are you aware of the Open File in Solution and Find Symbol in Solution dialogs?

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W193
https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W194

The Open File dialog is designed to allow you to select and open multiple files in one go.

For "gamemodesettings" search, if you search for "game mode settings" then you will see all symbols containing all three words, in any order, so it will list "game_mode_settings" and "settings_mode_game" and "gamemodesettings" all at once. This works both in the dialog and the pull down list in VA View.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000