Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Autocomplete doesn't work for header file paths

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jorge24 Posted - Jun 23 2020 : 8:05:02 PM
I am using Visual Assist (VA) with Unreal Engine (UE). There are many header files in UE which the Visual Studio IDE can autocomplete by typing
#include "

However, when using VA, it doesn't autocomplete UE header files when I type
#include "
it only shows me paths to folders and files I created that are located in my own game project folder.

Here is what VA shows me (Building_Escape is the name of my project):

And here is what Visual Studio default IDE shows me:

However, I noticed that in order for VA to show UE source header files I need to use the greater/less than brackets
< >
instead of quotes
" "
as you can see here:

I have tried this with the UE v4.25.1 which I installed from the Epic Launcher. I think VA should work with quotes since UE uses quotes to include files by default and also if I'm not mistaken, the greater/less than brackets should be used for compiler provided files such as the C++ standard library files, and not user created files like the UE source files.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 26 2021 : 09:20:33 AM
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

What Unreal Header file names are you trying to include, that are not being suggested?

Testing this here, with VS2019 and VA 2399.0, both #include <> and #include "" are happy to list "GameplayTasksEditorModule.h", which is an unreal engine header file. It is possible there is a key difference in our settings here though.
CodeName Posted - Apr 24 2021 : 09:22:38 AM
This would really be a great addition. I have put a lot of energi into finding out when and why this stopped working in newer versions of Unreal and VS 2019 as before it at least recognized the path(s). Now it's a royal p.i.t.a detour around the EPIC documentation to figure out where it's located.

This is one of the small things that disrupts the workflow.
feline Posted - Jun 25 2020 : 05:13:33 AM
Unfortunately you cannot, since our bug and feature database isn't publicly viewable. However this thread will be updated when this is fixed, and we also list all of the changes with each new build of VA on the whats new page:

https://www.wholetomato.com/features/whats-new
Jorge24 Posted - Jun 24 2020 : 7:28:04 PM
Thanks, where can I enter that case number to keep track of the request?
feline Posted - Jun 24 2020 : 09:03:42 AM
A very good point, as you say, Unreal Engine its self, when adding a new class to your project, uses #include "" lines for its own includes. I have put in a feature request for this:

case=142404

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000