Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Missing key bindings in VS 2008

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pobinger Posted - Mar 10 2020 : 03:11:32 AM
Due to a new machine, I had to migrate from Win7 to 10, though still using Visual Studio 2008. Though already using a little dated version of VisualAssistX for some years now, I upgraded also to the latest version (at least for the free trial period).

However, all the shortcuts that I was so used to in the old installation where gone on the new machine. I had to export the keybindings from the old machine and import them on the new machine.

On the Visual Studio 2019 installation on the new machine, all keybindings where immediately there.

What did I miss out?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Mar 11 2020 : 1:10:53 PM
this is the command that the VA .exe installer uses to setup the default keybindings in VS prior to VS2010:
devenv.exe /Setup /RootSuffix

It needs to be run as administrator.
pobinger Posted - Mar 11 2020 : 10:56:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Very strange. Simply exporting your IDE settings from one machine and importing them on the new machine should be enough to bring across all of your keyboard shortcuts, in a fairly quick and easy manor, if you still have access to the old machine.

Reinstalling VA for VS2008 is another option, giving VA another chance to make sure that its keyboard shortcuts are set.

Yes, the export/import did the trick, but still strange.

(and yes, before that I tried an uninstall/reinstall of VA, which didn't work)
feline Posted - Mar 11 2020 : 10:37:39 AM
Very strange. Simply exporting your IDE settings from one machine and importing them on the new machine should be enough to bring across all of your keyboard shortcuts, in a fairly quick and easy manor, if you still have access to the old machine.

Reinstalling VA for VS2008 is another option, giving VA another chance to make sure that its keyboard shortcuts are set.
pobinger Posted - Mar 11 2020 : 04:45:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

If you did move settings across, did you do so before installing VA? Keybinding integration in VS before VS2010 was a costly install-time operation, so VA avoids repeated key setup via a setting. If you migrated that setting (I think it's the InstalledBuildNo setting) before installation, then that could explain the result.

I didn't move any settings from the old VS2008 installation to the new one, VS was already installed in my PC image by my colleague, he insists that he didn't uncheck any settings during the installation of VS. The same goes for me when I installed VA, I did just a plain vanilla install...
pobinger Posted - Mar 11 2020 : 04:34:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Was this a clean install of both VS2008 and Visual Assist on the new machine?

You should have seen the same results, assuming VA installed without any errors into VS2008.

Is everything working correctly for you now in both IDE's?

That was a clean install of first Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2019 on a new Windows 10 machine on my colleague's and my PC. He doesn't have Visual Assist. When I installed them here, I noticed that those keybindings were missing.

I have managed to exported the shortcuts from my old installation (which was quite tricky) and imported it here. So far, they seem to work.
sean Posted - Mar 10 2020 : 1:55:14 PM
If you did move settings across, did you do so before installing VA? Keybinding integration in VS before VS2010 was a costly install-time operation, so VA avoids repeated key setup via a setting. If you migrated that setting (I think it's the InstalledBuildNo setting) before installation, then that could explain the result.
feline Posted - Mar 10 2020 : 11:52:40 AM
Was this a clean install of both VS2008 and Visual Assist on the new machine?

I am wondering if you moved settings across from the old machine as part of the process. I have just double checked, and on a clean install of VA 2366.0, on loading VS2008, the following keyboard shortcuts all just work for me:

Alt-Shift-O
Alt-Shift-S
Alt-M
Alt-G
Alt-Shift-G
Alt-Shift-Q
Alt-Shift-F

You should have seen the same results, assuming VA installed without any errors into VS2008.

Is everything working correctly for you now in both IDE's?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000