Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Smart Suggestions one off

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 08:32:19 AM
Occasionally I see smart suggestions showing one off suggestions, like showing what should be the previous parameter and not the current one when completing.

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2358.0 built 2019.12.19
DevEnv.exe version 16.4.29728.190 Community
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 05 2020 : 09:43:41 AM
That's fair and reasonable, I have put in a bug report for this:

case=141852
Uniwares Posted - Feb 04 2020 : 12:57:49 PM
Sure and true. Yet, as in this specific case, there is no other match where the suggested parameter would fit, it should be possible to verify that. After all, there are already parameters which limit the number of possible overloads.
feline Posted - Feb 04 2020 : 12:26:04 PM
Given you have suggestions turned on, and are generally happy with them, how should parameter suggestions be handled then? Given that overloads are determined at compile time, its not to difficult to come up with a situation where VA cannot know the type of the current parameter, so any suggestion that is made is possibly wrong.

Suggestions are trying to help, but they are always going to have an error rate. I am just not sure where we want to try and draw the line here.
Uniwares Posted - Feb 04 2020 : 10:14:31 AM
Yes, I added the settings for suggestions. Actually all turned on from the suggestions page. In general it does a good job with the suggestions, just some of the heavier overloads dont do well.
feline Posted - Feb 04 2020 : 10:05:35 AM
This is a fair point of view, but how far should we take it? You are seeing smart suggestions, since you have turned these on. But do you also have other suggestions turned on?

Importing the most recent settings you sent me, on the Suggestions settings page, I see everything turned on except for "Enable in C#", so I assume that your current settings are different. Which types of suggestions do you have turned on?

If you have turned on "Include bits of code from surrounding lines" then you are asking VA to give its best guess, which sadly won't always be correct.
Uniwares Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 2:41:37 PM
So thats then a "known limitation" or "works as designed within limits"? In that case I�d prefer no suggestion when its not 100% clear as it adds to the work load instead of removing from it.
feline Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 2:25:40 PM
When VA knows the parameters, so there is only one overload, smart suggestions should be fairly smart. When there are several overloads VA is going to have to do a bit more guessing.

If the guesses aren't helping, you can always use CTRL-SPACE to replace the suggestion list with a full listbox, which should help.

I have double checked this behaviour here, and in simple tests I am often getting VA's suggestions based on context and surrounding code as well, which are reasonable but not always fully "correct".
Uniwares Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 08:40:40 AM
C#, not doing much C++ lately so its not tested there.
feline Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 08:39:03 AM
Is this C#, C++ or both?
Uniwares Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 08:38:33 AM
Pretty sure its only on overloaded functions, System.*, as far as I can remember.
feline Posted - Feb 03 2020 : 08:35:48 AM
When you notice this, does it always happen with overloaded functions? The tooltip showing the different overloads is coming from the IDE, not from VA. So I am wondering if VA thinks you are using a different overload to the one you think you are using. Just a guess, but it would help to explain the second screen shot, at least.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000