Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Strange syntax coloring in C#

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 05:29:16 AM
This does just not seem right. Adding a "this." will correctly color the member, removing "this." does not.

Using VA 10.9.2341.2 (trial)

Am I missing something?

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 2:56:33 PM
Apologies, I really did not explain that very well. From the "Color by Usage" section here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W179

>> Coloring is efficient, particularly during scrolling, but unusual sequences of symbols and characters, and commonly used symbol names of differing types, might cause a symbol to be drawn in the wrong color. For example, if MyVar is a method in one place and int in another, MyVar is colored like a method regardless of the instance to which it refers.

This seems to be a factor some of the time, but I don't think it explains all of the colour problems you are reporting.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 1:10:59 PM
Well, I just changed the name to Text1, with the effect that it doesnt get any color anymore. Just plain white. Cleared cache, rebuilt database, etc.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 12:50:56 PM
I see, so thats only with "common enough" symbols? I keep an eye on it, though it doesnt explain the color/uncolor/recolor effect.
feline Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 12:46:41 PM
The clue is that "Text" is sometimes showing up in italics. This is a common enough symbol name that VA's coloring is getting confused about the meaning of this. Since the colouring code has to run quickly we have to make some educated guesses sometimes about how to colour things, so seeing the same name used for two different symbols of different types can confuse our colouring code.

This is something we are aware of, and do try to minimise, but it's not something that we currently have a full fix for.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 05:45:16 AM
Ok, now it gets funny:

VA does color these items correctly, until... i scroll the window, either with the mouse or by clicking on the scroll bar. Then it get "uncolored". When I switch window and back (Alt-Tab), it gets colored correctly again.
Seems there is some interference here. Not sure what and why, no other syntax coloring extension installed, so its a fight between VS and VA.

and

Uniwares Posted - Nov 21 2019 : 05:33:47 AM
Ah, reparsing doesnt help

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000