Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAssistX crashes VS2010 on exit [SOLVED in v.2353]

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jac_goudsmit Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 3:19:44 PM
I've used VisualAssistX for many years but I'm new to the forum.

I've been having a problem where Visual Studio 2010 always crashes when I close it after (or during) debugging. If I leave Visual Studio open for any amount of time (and it really runs for days on end sometimes), or if I just open our solution and edit files without debugging and then close Visual Studio, there's no problem. But if I do any kind of debugging and then close VS, it restarts itself. This has been a problem for a while and yesterday I finally took some time to research it.

I tried installing a number of different versions to "home in" on the point where this started. For each version I tested, I did the following:

• Closed VS

• Ran the VA installer

• Started VS

• Loaded my solution file (130+ projects, hundreds of source files)

• Used Debug>Step Over to start debugging

• Closed VS ("Do you want to stop debugging?" Yes)

• Waited a few seconds to check if Visual Studio shut down successfully or restarted itself.

I tried the following versions of VA:

• 2258.0 (no problem)

• 2283.2 (no problem)

• 2291.0 (no problem)

• 2291.5 (no problem)

• 2301.0 (problem)

• 2302.0 (problem)

• 2331.0 (problem)

• 2341.2 (problem)

My system is reasonably clean; I recently upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and had to do a "reset" where it wipes all installed programs but keeps the machine account and user accounts (my computer is on a company Windows domain). So I had to reinstall Visual Studio from scratch, followed by VS2010 SP1. I also use the following other extensions in VS, in case it matters:

• Nuget

• Perforce P4VS

• MS Productivity Power Tools

The most recent Windows "Problem Report" is pasted below; if there's any way I can help with more information (such as a ProcMon trace), let me know.

I hope this helps and I hope you guys can fix it. Most of the time it's a minor annoyance that I have to exit Visual Studio twice, but sometimes it gets to be a real nuisance.

Thanks!

===Jac

(Windows Problem Report follows)

Source
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Summary
Stopped working

Date
#8206;10/#8206;10/#8206;2019 14:35

Status
Not reported

Description
Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01:	devenv.exe
Problem Signature 02:	10.0.40219.1
Problem Signature 03:	4d5f2a73
Problem Signature 04:	VaCodeInspections
Problem Signature 05:	10.9.2301.0
Problem Signature 06:	5c01c4af
Problem Signature 07:	69
Problem Signature 08:	bd
Problem Signature 09:	System.NullReferenceException
OS Version:	10.0.18362.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:	1033
Additional Information 1:	2beb
Additional Information 2:	2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
Additional Information 3:	e9d4
Additional Information 4:	e9d4e384a6f948965ed112a9566a20a7

Files that help describe the problem
WERInternalMetadata.xml
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Oct 14 2019 : 1:34:23 PM
Thanks for testing those different scenarios. We do have a prospective fix that will be included in the next release, but since we aren't able to repro we can't confirm it fixes the problem. We'll try with your settings.
jac_goudsmit Posted - Oct 14 2019 : 10:49:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

After some cursory attempts, I'm not able to repro.

Even if you can't reproduce the problem, doesn't the dump file give you the location in your code where the null dereference happens? If you can't deduct how the pointer can possibly be set to null, couldn't you at least work around it by putting an "if" around it or catching the exception? I don't know anything about your source code of course, but I can't help but wonder...

quote:

Does the problem only occur with that one solution or have you not tried any others?

Does it occur with a new default project, for example MFC application?

I created a simple "Hello World" Console application in C, stepped into the main( ) function and then closed VS, and it still crashed and restarted.

quote:
If it happens in any solution that you are able to try, could you try creating a temporary new Windows user account, log into it and see if the crash occurs in that environment? That will tell us if the problem is isolated to your user account or is global to the machine.

I did that. In the new account, VS did not crash on exit after debugging. So I suppose there's something in my account that's causing the problem.

While logged in to the account where the problem occurs, I saved the VAssist settings by clicking the Export button in the GUI, and I saved the relevant part of the HKCU registry for VS2010. You can download it at (URL REMOVED).

Thanks!

===Jac
sean Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 7:49:37 PM
After some cursory attempts, I'm not able to repro.

Does the problem only occur with that one solution or have you not tried any others?

Does it occur with a new default project, for example MFC application?

If it happens in any solution that you are able to try, could you try creating a temporary new Windows user account, log into it and see if the crash occurs in that environment? That will tell us if the problem is isolated to your user account or is global to the machine.
jac_goudsmit Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 7:42:09 PM
quote:

Did the crashes occur before your upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10?

Yes. It's one of the reasons why I upgraded -- I hoped that a fresh system would fix the issue :-)

===Jac
sean Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 6:01:18 PM
Did the crashes occur before your upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10?
sean Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 5:32:14 PM
Thanks for capturing that and making it available. I've opened a bug for this problem. case=141365
jac_goudsmit Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 4:17:50 PM
quote:

If you are able to capture a crash dump, that would be very helpful. Instructions are here:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/?W303

I created a dump file. You can retrieve it at (link removed).

Thanks!

===Jac
jac_goudsmit Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 3:48:23 PM
quote:

Problem Signature 04 implicates Code Inspection. Is that feature enabled? Check in the VA Options dialog on the "Code Inspection (beta)" page.

Code Inspection is already disabled.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 3:43:53 PM
quote:

Sorry to hear of the trouble.

Does the crash occur if you disable debugger integration? See item 3 at this page:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W730

I disabled debugger integration by unchecking the checkbox mentioned in step 3 (version 2341.2). Afterwards, I could still reproduce the problem.

===Jac
sean Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 3:32:48 PM
Problem Signature 04 implicates Code Inspection. Is that feature enabled? Check in the VA Options dialog on the "Code Inspection (beta)" page.
sean Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 3:30:04 PM
If you are able to capture a crash dump, that would be very helpful. Instructions are here:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/?W303
sean Posted - Oct 11 2019 : 3:27:10 PM
Sorry to hear of the trouble.

Does the crash occur if you disable debugger integration? See item 3 at this page:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W730

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000