Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 2341_0 and 2341_2 freeze VS 2019

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Z01 Posted - Sep 05 2019 : 05:55:48 AM
I know VA is the cause or at least triggers the bug because it happens reliably and with VA disabled VS works fine...
Symptoms are that after a while devenv.exe freezes, CPU usage goes to 85% for devenv.exe and only thing I can do is kill VS.
VS version 16.2.3

downgrade to 2333 helps, for now, I have not used it long.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 09 2019 : 1:30:50 PM
Thanks for the notice. It appears that the certificates are now getting updated.
Z01 Posted - Sep 09 2019 : 06:00:00 AM
Will try to get a dump, btw your certificate expired.
feline Posted - Sep 06 2019 : 07:31:07 AM
Are you seeing any form of pattern to these problems?

When the IDE freezes, is the title bar being updated with "(not responding)", or is it just frozen, without Windows its self deciding that the IDE is not responding?

Does the freeze happen at the same time as the CPU spikes to 100% on a single, or all cores, from the devenv.exe process?

You can still grab a mini dump of a frozen IDE process, this page explains how to do so:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W303
Z01 Posted - Sep 06 2019 : 04:38:39 AM
My problem is not a crash, deveenv.exe *freezes*, I can kill ,but it does not crash.
ChrisG Posted - Sep 05 2019 : 3:24:27 PM
If you are experiencing Visual Studio crashes while using Visual Assist (the crashes often just look like VS restarted) then please collect a mini-dump of the crash and send the dump in to us.

Here is a document describing a few different ways to collect a dump. I prefer the "Windows Error Reporting" method toward the bottom.
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W303

After you collect the dump, please contact [email protected] so that I can provide FTP login details to upload the dump.
kevinmcm Posted - Sep 05 2019 : 3:21:06 PM
Yeah, I updated to 2341.2. It seems like it helps a bit, in that there was a hang that it recovered from. But then it crashes a bit later anyway.
ChrisG Posted - Sep 05 2019 : 3:20:51 PM
It sounds like at least Z01 has already tried build 2341.2, so for you, the issue continued even with the updated build?
ChrisG Posted - Sep 05 2019 : 3:19:10 PM
What version of Visual Assist were you using? We released an update on 2019.08.05 to address an issue that sounds similar to the one you both report.

If you haven't already, please try build 2341.2. Does that solve the issue with excessive CPU usage / freezing?
kevinmcm Posted - Sep 05 2019 : 3:14:39 PM
Yeah I'm getting similar behavior. Rather than roll back Visual Assist, I backed off to Visual Studio 2017 for now, but I can't do that for long.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000