Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Alt+G sometimes takes me to generated.h file

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeblote Posted - Jul 17 2019 : 08:03:39 AM
For example, I just used alt+G on this method

and it took me here:

but it should have taken me here:

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 22 2019 : 05:59:19 AM
Thank you for the update. I was wondering if a symbol database rebuild would help, but I did not suggest it yet since installing the new build of VA should have triggered a rebuild automatically, so it seemed odd that installing the new build would trigger this problem unless there was something in your code that was confusing our parser.

It turns out that assumption was wrong.

Hopefully this stays fixed for you.
Zeblote Posted - Jul 20 2019 : 4:42:36 PM
I used rebuild symbol databases and now it seems to work properly again for the time being.
Zeblote Posted - Jul 20 2019 : 4:37:24 PM
Yes, going from the _Implementation to the header works.

Interestingly this problem seems to be specific to that file - all native event / rpc functions in BRPlayerController.h take me to the generated header, ones in other files don't.
feline Posted - Jul 19 2019 : 12:21:58 PM
The .gen.cpp file surprised me, but doing a search here across some unreal projects, it seems this is a standard file to have. So all of this looks normal enough.

If you go to "BRPlayerController.cpp" and place the caret into the function name for the _Implemented function body, and press Alt-g what happens? I am wondering if VA correctly matches this to the header file.

Do you have any other blueprint functions in "BRPlayerController.h"? I am wondering if this is a function specific problem, or if the problem happens for other functions in this file as well.

Turning the problem upside down, do you have any cases where Alt-g still works as expected for blueprint functions? I am wondering if somehow this is now broken for all such functions on your system. No idea why yet, but it would explain why it is so common.
Zeblote Posted - Jul 17 2019 : 2:22:12 PM
I have the first box checked, the other 2 not because I prefer the macros white and I don't have any snippets for them yet.

This is find file with the options as they are currently:

This is with the box at the bottom unchecked:

This is with the box in right click checked (I had to upload this image elsewhere, 100KB limit is very low, maybe increase in the forum config?):

feline Posted - Jul 17 2019 : 1:53:38 PM
In VA Options, on the Unreal Engine settings page, which options do you have turned on? I am assuming all 3 check boxes, but I just want to double check.

Can you please open VA's Open File in Solution dialog, and filter for the filename in the above screen shots, "BRPlayerController". How many files are listed? More specifically, is VA listing the generated file as well? Or is it being filtered out?

If the generated file is being listed, can you please right click in the Open File dialog and see if you have "Include all files in solution directories" turned On or Off. If this is turned On, can you please turn it Off and see if this makes any difference to the files that are listed in this dialog?
Zeblote Posted - Jul 17 2019 : 1:18:32 PM
This is actually happening extremely often now, very distracting. I've not noticed this before updating to the build on 7/11, but I don't know if that introducted the problem.
Going back and pressing alt+G again leads to the same result.
File names are all standard - BRPlayerController.h, BRPlayerController.cpp, BRPlayerController.generated.h.
The files have existed for a long time, not new ones.
feline Posted - Jul 17 2019 : 11:11:39 AM
Does this happen often, or just rarely?

In this case, if you return to the header file, and use alt-g again, what happens?

What is the file name of the generated / wrong cpp file? I just want to make sure that it looks like the normal generated file name, and isn't showing up with a different, unexpected filename.

Is this a newly added / generated / updated class? Or an existing one that has been in your solution for a while now?

So far I cannot reproduce this here, so I am looking for clues that might help to explain what is going on here.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000