Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Support for C++17 features

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ethan.tqa Posted - Dec 15 2017 : 12:13:58 AM
Hi, now that Visual Studio 2017 15.5 added plenty of C++17 features, it would be nice to have them recognized by Visual Assist too. If it is too much to implement tho whole C++17 support, the few features that I would love to see first are: structured binding, if condition initializer and fold expressions.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Jul 12 2019 : 3:14:34 PM
case=113209 is fixed in build 2341
https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404#2341
feline Posted - Dec 21 2017 : 06:59:34 AM
We are working to add C++17 support, but this is just one of many feature requests and bug reports to juggle, so its a matter of working out what should be done first.

For Intellisense, our default advice is to use the IDE as the source of intellisense in VS2010 and above, via the setting:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Visual Assist OR Default Intellisense

For large solutions, where setting the source to VA works well, people often disable the IDE intellisense parser, to avoid the overhead of running two parsers at once, especially if in their solution the IDE parser produces less useful results.

Basically, if intellisense is not as useful as you would like, try different settings, and see what works best in your code base.
ethan.tqa Posted - Dec 21 2017 : 12:20:01 AM
I agree that structured binding and if-init are 2 features that work well together, and should be of higher priority. Btw, is it better to turn off VS IntelliSense or keep it on while using Visual Assist?
accord Posted - Dec 19 2017 : 07:04:39 AM
Structured-binding and if-init together seems to be a good tool to elegantly handle multiple return values - a feature I was missing after seeing it in Google Go. Returning values via arguments always seemed like a hack to me - returning a value via return keyword (as its name implies) is for returning values .
feline Posted - Dec 15 2017 : 12:03:26 PM
We are working on supporting the new C++ features, so it is useful to know which ones are of most interest to our users. Are you seeing any specific problems with "if condition initializer"? In my tests, based on the example here:

https://skebanga.github.io/if-with-initializer/

VA does not correctly understand the scope of the variable created here, but so far that is the only problem I am seeing:

case=113209

I am seeing the problem with structured binding, where VA is not aware of the new variables that are bound to the members of the structure:

case=113210

I am also seeing problems with fold expressions, but to be fair, VA is not fully handling variadic templates yet, but this is something we are aware of and working on. I have put in a bug report for using fold expressions:

case=113211

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000