Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Show comments from base methods in tooltip

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeblote Posted - May 31 2018 : 09:42:37 AM
Just wondering if this would be possible. When overriding a virtual method, it makes you only get garbage in the tooltip:

Would be nice if it could also get and display this comment from the base method:

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Jul 12 2019 : 3:13:48 PM
case=117042 is implemented in build 2341
https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404#2341
ChrisG Posted - Jun 12 2018 : 11:42:02 PM
I like this idea, and opened case 117042 for it. This is no guarantee that it will be implemented, but I for one would like it see it in the product.
feline Posted - May 31 2018 : 4:27:18 PM
The idea is interesting, but what happens when there are two, three or more virtual methods above this one in the class hierarchy? I am just not sure how well this would scale.

Are you aware that if you use Alt-Shift-G, for Goto Related, VA will let you jump to the base methods for this function? It's not as direct, but it is a good way of exploring the hierarchy.

Another approach is to run Find References on the virtual function, and in the Find References Results window make sure that you have turned on the following options in the right click menu:

Display declarations and definitions
Display inherited and overridden references
Tooltips

you can now hover over the base class declarations and see what comment information is shown in the tooltip for the result. You can also jump to the result with the most useful looking comment block.

Both methods will scale a lot better in more complex cases.
Zeblote Posted - May 31 2018 : 09:47:28 AM
Found this option and turned it on, but seems to have no effect:

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000