Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA Hashtag view jump to node when removing hash

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrJones4u Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 04:25:13 AM
Hello,

Whenever the last and currently selected hashtag entry is removed or modified, the selection in the VA hashtag view jumps to the parent node of the selected entry.

Assuming a longish list of hashtags, this becomes very disruptive as the current location is lost and you have to scroll down the list to find the entry you were at last again.

When a entry is deleted I can understand that displaying a selection is difficult, but when a entry is modified this behaviour is most annoying. Yet, even in the first place removing the entry and selection *and* not jumping to the top of the list would be a very valid option.

Thanks,
Keep up the great work,

Michael

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 10:25:21 AM
At least its a working solution, which is important.
MrJones4u Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 09:52:41 AM
Yes, the find in all files variant is what we have been using, and yes it sort of defeats the point...

Thanks,
Michael
feline Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 09:49:57 AM
I have just tried grouping by file, and this actually makes the jumping problem worse, so not much help there. I have put a note onto the bug report about this.

Are you aware you can use Alt-G and Alt-Shift-G on hashtags? Very useful for navigation, but probably not going to work that well when editing the tags.

Perhaps doing an IDE find in files on the hashtag string? Not ideal, and it feels like it defeats the point of the Hashtags window, but you can jump to the next and previous hits from the Find Results window, which won't be updated by your edits, thus keeping your current position in the list for you.
MrJones4u Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 08:25:24 AM
Thanks!

Yes, I was aware of the filter option, yet the difference is marginal at most, as the issue is remembering where you were and not just finding it again...

cu,
Michael
feline Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 08:20:34 AM
This makes sense, I have put in a bug report for this:

case=137218

For now, are you aware you can search / filter the Hashtags window, to only show the tag you are currently working on? This won't stop the jump, but it will mean you have a better change of getting your position back again, since there are a lot less items to hunt through.

The Hashtags window is showing different information to the editor, to keeping the two in sync does not really make sense.
MrJones4u Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 06:44:30 AM
Moving the selection to the next entry would most likely be the most compatible with the workflow that I observe with both my colleagues and myself, yet is mildly inconsistent as the now selected entry was not previously selected and the editor is not there... That said, the hashtag view is not synchronous with the editor anyway (I can randomly click on any entry and that entry is now selected independent of the position of the editor) so I feel that that is an minor issue.

As to editing the actual hashtag, I feel that is like deleting it from the list, moving the selection to the next entry feels again like a workflow enabler e.g. moving #todo to #done and then being able to quickly find and move to the next #todo.
(Also, things could get strange if there are multiple hashtags in the same line).

cu,
Michael

feline Posted - Feb 26 2019 : 06:25:57 AM
I am seeing the effect here, obvious when you know to look for it.

When you are deleting a hashtag by editing the code it seems reasonable to move the selection in the Hashtags window to the next / previous entry for the same hashtag, rather than all the way back to the parent node.

But what about when you edit and change the name of the hashtag? Would you expect focus to remain on the old hashtag name, on a different item? Or to jump to the new tag name in the Hashtags window? I can see an argument for both behaviours, but keeping as close as possible to your current position seems more reasonable to my mind.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000