Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Autcomplete not working on new PC

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
franji1 Posted - Jan 28 2019 : 10:16:07 AM
I am not getting any of the Visual Assist autocomplete working on my VS 2008 installation (native C++ projects) on my new PC.

I've checked all the include paths and only getting Visual Studio auto-complete, but none of the enhanced Visual Assist.

I went through the options of the 2 installations side-by-side, and I did not see anything that I was missing.

Here's my "System Info":

License: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Support ends 2015.12.02
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2083.0 built 2015.11.18
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Courier New 16 (pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.17763.253
Windows 8 6.2 Build 9200
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
c:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include;

Other Includes:
d:\codeMTX\ProgExt;
d:\codeMTX\MatExt;
d:\codeMTX\HostExt;
d:\codeMTX\API;
d:\codeMTX\Include;

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\crt\src;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\Common;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\CommandBars;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\Controls;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\DockingPane;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\GraphicLibrary;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\ReportControl;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\ShortcutBar;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\SkinFramework;
C:\HEIKits\XTP1300\Source\TabManager;

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 30 2019 : 07:22:51 AM
Thank you for the update, and I am glad this is now working correctly. I am not sure what went wrong here, but at a guess, it is a combination of settings not being saved out correctly, and VA needing to do a symbol database rebuild, which was probably triggered by the uninstall / reinstall.

If you run into odd problems again, you can trigger a rebuild without having to do an uninstall, simply press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart the IDE. This should only take a few minutes to take effect.
franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 12:56:40 PM
Uninstall/reinstall got it all working. Thanks!!!

franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 10:48:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

So when you say EXE solution, you are debugging an exe, and the IDE is picking up the source code locations from the PDB files? I just want to make sure I am following correctly.

Yes.

quote:

At a guess this sounds like a problem with include directories, or possibly extensions to parse.

That's what I was thinking, until it started working in the .EXE solution?!?

quote:

Did you make sure you had closed all instances of the IDE (devenv.exe) before editing the registry, to add the extra extension for header file types? VA writes out its settings on exit, so if you had the IDE open when you edited the registry the edit may have been overwritten, and thus lost.

That may have been an issue earlier, but I figured that out (I do run multi-instance sometime). I have been staying away from multi-instance since "last one wins". Hence, I have double checked my settings (via IDE VA options dialog and RegEdit).

I may just "kick it in the head", i.e. start from scratch - uninstall/reinstall VA, do all the adjustments I now know to do, and see if that fixes it.

I know I did have multi-instance and things NOT propagate, and "fixed" it accordingly. But it could be that it never was "fixed" (it just LOOKs like it's "fixed"). Hence, "kick it in the head" sounds like the best plan.

Software developers working with software tool software developers - we get it (Dogbert tech support - "shut up and reboot") :-D
franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 10:41:48 AM
I do not get any autocomplete (VS nor VA). When I float my cursor over the pProj, I only get the VS tooltip - not VA's. Also note that the GetCurrentProject() method is UNDERLINED like it does not know what it is. But it BUILDs. That global function is defined in another .HII file.

feline Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 10:41:20 AM
So when you say EXE solution, you are debugging an exe, and the IDE is picking up the source code locations from the PDB files? I just want to make sure I am following correctly.

At a guess this sounds like a problem with include directories, or possibly extensions to parse.

Did you make sure you had closed all instances of the IDE (devenv.exe) before editing the registry, to add the extra extension for header file types? VA writes out its settings on exit, so if you had the IDE open when you edited the registry the edit may have been overwritten, and thus lost.
franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 10:36:39 AM
Let me answer the first part quickly. I will do the 2nd part right after...

The one that works is an EXE debugging session, but I do not/cannot build anything from that solution. But this is the one that VA is working (yes, the VA icons are showing up there!!).

The .VCPROJ solution IS where I build the specific DLL, and it builds fine, DOES show VA autocomplete (I get the VA icons) on the .H classes (that .H is in the same folder as the .cpp), but NOT in the .HII class (the .HII file is in an include-path, NOT in the same file as the .CPP). The Include path is identical between the two solutions.

feline Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 10:21:54 AM
The screen shot shows that tomato icons are turned On, so at least we can be sure who is producing the listbox.

In both solutions, is the class defined in the same .hii file?

Do you expect both solutions to compile? I am wondering if the .hii file has been correctly included / can be found in the project where you are having this problem. That might explain what is going wrong here.

If you just enter the type name for what "GetProject()" is returning in this screen shot, and then show VA View again, place keyboard focus back into the editor window, and now hover the mouse over the typename what, if anything, is shown? Do you get different results in the two solutions?
franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 10:00:38 AM
The Project class is defined in an .HII file. this and m_PC object's class are both defined in a .H file (autocomplete works on those classes)
franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 09:58:53 AM
In the .EXE project, the autocomplete works as expected, including the point where I want to access a method in the Project object:

When I switch to the DLL vcproj (that contains the actual source file to compile), the autocomplete works up until I want to reference a method in the Project object:

This is the same instance of the IDE, I am just opening up the other solution (.EXE solution automatically closes when I open the DLL VCPROJ solution).
franji1 Posted - Jan 29 2019 : 09:50:31 AM
Interesting. I started editing a .CPP file in my .EXE debug solution, and the auto-complete was working for everything. So, I opened up the project/solution of the DLL that contains the same .CPP and started editing in THAT project. The autocomplete sort of worked, but quit working once I got to an object's whose class is defined in an .HII file.

But it works correctly when I open the EXE solution, but does not work in the VCPROJ solution for one of the DLLs of my EXE.
franji1 Posted - Jan 28 2019 : 12:33:23 PM
FYI, we do use .hii as alternative (interface) header extension, but I learned about the registry entry that needed tweaking:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\VANet9
ExtHeader
and my tweaked value is:
.h;.hii;.hh;.hpp;.hxx;.ipp;.tlh;.inl;.p;.rh;.dh;.ih;.ph;.hm;
franji1 Posted - Jan 28 2019 : 12:27:09 PM
The std::String methods/autocomplete show up as expected (in VA form)

I have an older version (VA 10.9.2083.0, VS 2008 9.0.30729), so my Options only has ListBoxes, and the closest option there is
Enable Visual Assist completion, suggestion and member listboxes in C#
That is Unchecked (I am using C++ native)

Here's the whole dialog:

feline Posted - Jan 28 2019 : 12:13:07 PM
That is a bit odd. Are you seeing this problem with all types, or only some types?

To start with a simple test case, can you please add the line of code:

std::string strName;

to one of your functions. If you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the variable or the type, is the correct information displayed? You should be seeing the class members for the std.string class.

If this is not working then it suggests VA is having problems picking up the correct header files to parse. If this is working then perhaps the problem is with showing the listboxes.

Also, what do you have:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Visual Assist OR Default Intellisense

set to?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000