Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Will there be linux version or standalone editor

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alex24 Posted - May 16 2018 : 08:02:20 AM
Will there be a linux version or standalone editor

I've use VC6 and Visual Assist as an editor for a long time.
Yes, I just use it as an editor.

I use it with many other toolchains:
with samba and plink for linux.
with mingw for windows, (I just don't like cl.exe)
with gcc-arm-none-eabi for stm32.
with ndk for android.
and so on.
I wrote a script tool to switch among the above platforms, by modify some registry.

All works well, except some minimus issue, such as VC6 not understand utf-8 code, can not set to unix file format, Visual Assist does not understand some gcc extension syntax.

Recently, I tried to switch to linux, and Visual Assist is the only thing that I have to use on windows. I use wine for it. It can work with some versin of wine, but some version not.

I also tried some other solutions, clion and vim + YouCompleteMe, but they are not as good as Visual Assist for me. I even tried to modify notepad++ to a fake VC6 to make it work with Visual Assist, but seems too much work.

So will you guys have a plan to do some other work than just to stick to VC. Since MS has make its own VC more like a Visual Assist inside.

Clion is very similar to Visual Assist in many ways, but it's too complex.

I think a simple editor with Visual Assist is good enough for many C C++ programmer. Like earlier years people configured editplus to a simple ide to write java.

Maybe you guys can try to integrate Visual Assist with some open source editor such as notepad++ for the first step, hope its not too much work for you, then try linux, and even android.

Finally, thanks for making life a lot easier for me.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 16 2018 : 10:24:27 AM
Unfortunately no, we don't have any plans to do any of this. Just keeping up with all of the versions of Visual Studio is a full time job for us. If you still have a Windows license, have you considered running Visual Studio inside a Virtual Machine, and then pointing the virtual machine at a shared / mapped directory that lives on your Linux machine? This would let you edit your Linux code directly, via the share.

Given the line endings problem I would not recormend doing this with VC6, but you can use the community version of Visual Studio, if the license conditions are suitable for your work:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000