Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Do not display hover text for large constants

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dark_cephas Posted - Apr 05 2018 : 7:37:07 PM
For vars like

const unsigned char g_pRayGenerationShaderSSRLib[] = {
0x44, 0x58, 0x42, 0x43, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, ... thousands of bytes

Please dont try to put this data in a hover box if the mouse highlights over it.

I think that visual assist is causing my VS to crash all the time when looking at the Direct X Raytracing samples
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dark_cephas Posted - May 03 2018 : 7:33:23 PM
Thx great work. I will check it out when i can.
sean Posted - May 01 2018 : 4:49:04 PM
case=115590 is fixed in build 2270
feline Posted - Apr 06 2018 : 11:29:37 AM
Are you seeing these crashes on demand? Or are they happening in a more random manor?

Assuming these crashes are on demand, can you please try disabling VA, and see if this stops the crash? The simple way of disabling VA is to use:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

this will probably stop the crash, if it is as simple as the tooltip has to much text. If this does not stop the crash, can you please disable VA via the dialog:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

which will require an IDE restart. Does this stop the crash?

If it does, would it be possible to get a copy of this single header file, purely for testing purposes? I understand this is often not possible, but it would make sure I am testing the right thing if it was possible. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
dark_cephas Posted - Apr 06 2018 : 10:03:29 AM
the variable is in a header file that is 216k in size and 3k lines. This is a generated file.

I still havent disabled Visual Assist to see if it is indeed that which is crashing VS.
feline Posted - Apr 06 2018 : 09:15:14 AM
I have downloaded the Direct X Raytracing samples, and found the project with this variable, but it has no definition for me. So I am not sure if I have missed a step. So I set up a test case with your line copied and pasted many times, and I am seeing the IDE stop responding for several seconds while VA tries to show the tooltip. So I have a significant problem here, but so far no sign of any crashes.

When you see a crash, does there seem to be any pattern to what triggers it? If the mouse hover and tooltip seems to be the trigger, how large are your data blocks? The block I am testing is 955 lines long, with a size of 70,000 characters in a text editor, so a bit over 11,000 bytes.

I have put in a bug report for the very slow, and over sized tooltip:

case=115590

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000