Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Empty Find Symbol dialog

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
evolution Posted - Mar 07 2018 : 4:45:59 PM
I'm having a strange problem with one of my solutions - Find Symbol dialog shows 0 symbols if I have "Show only symbols defined in current solution" checked.

- It's a UE4-based solution (let's call it ProjectA)
- VAX 2258.0 (with the options dialog .dll patch). VS2017 15.4.2 on Win10 1709
- This doesn't happen with other UE4-based solutions (separate UE4 directory), though I've only checked in a couple others.
- If I uncheck "Show only symbols defined in current solution", the dialog is populated with symbols from the UE4 & game projects as well as SDK symbols (VS, XDK, etc.).
- Even with "Show only symbols defined in current solution" unchecked, it still doesn't show ALL of the symbols that exist in the solution.
- I've tried rebuilding the symbol database and clearing history/cache files multiple times. I've tried rebooting.
- In the solution file for ProjectA, I have about 20 different game projects included (various samples and reference). In every other UE4-based solution (i.e. the ones that display symbols in the Find Symbol dialog), there is only one game project included.

Any ideas?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - May 01 2018 : 5:02:38 PM
case=114965 is fixed in build 2270
case=114813 is no longer applicable because the feature was removed
sean Posted - Mar 09 2018 : 12:01:56 PM
Chris was able to repro: case=114965.
ChrisG Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 6:39:45 PM
I'm going to investigate this issue, thank you evolution for your report.
evolution Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 5:57:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

One more thought on this, are the different solutions using different versions of Unreal Engine? I am wondering if the Unreal Engine version could be a factor here.

No, both solutions are using 4.18.1. Each solution has its own copy of the Engine/UE4 project. I checked with another engineer on my team, and he also had the exact same issue, so it's possible it's something exclusive to our solution.
evolution Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 5:54:29 PM
quote:

For the problem solutions, if you look in Solution Explorer, how many projects are listed as members of the solution? My basic Unreal tests have 2 projects, one called Engine, which is the Unreal Engine its self, and the second project for the game.

I am wondering if there is any form of pattern here, to tell the problem and working Unreal solutions apart?

Would you be able to send me two .SLN files, one for a working unreal solution and one for a problem unreal solution? Just the SLN files, so there should not be any concern about code or information exposure. I just want to see if they have basically the same format and structure, or if I can see anything suggestive that I can test here.

It sounds like in these cases VA is having problems working out which is the Unreal project, thus the Unreal symbols.

The problem solution has 114 projects.
A similar solution that was working has 56 projects.

They have the same format and structure (unfortunately I can't send them, too sensitive :\). But they are both licensee UE4 solutions (meaning, the game project and the engine project are both in the same root folder on disk). Both were generated with the project generation batch file. In the solution with 114 projects, the majority of those extra projects are from the Samples folder that comes with the UE4 licensee distribution (downloaded from their P4 - not sure if the git distribution has them).
feline Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 5:39:13 PM
One more thought on this, are the different solutions using different versions of Unreal Engine? I am wondering if the Unreal Engine version could be a factor here.
feline Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 5:37:30 PM
Forgot to mention how to send me the files, oops. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
feline Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 5:25:55 PM
For the problem solutions, if you look in Solution Explorer, how many projects are listed as members of the solution? My basic Unreal tests have 2 projects, one called Engine, which is the Unreal Engine its self, and the second project for the game.

I am wondering if there is any form of pattern here, to tell the problem and working Unreal solutions apart?

Would you be able to send me two .SLN files, one for a working unreal solution and one for a problem unreal solution? Just the SLN files, so there should not be any concern about code or information exposure. I just want to see if they have basically the same format and structure, or if I can see anything suggestive that I can test here.

It sounds like in these cases VA is having problems working out which is the Unreal project, thus the Unreal symbols.
evolution Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 2:30:22 PM
quote:

So is everything now working correctly and as expected for you? It sounds like it is, I just want to make sure.

The workaround suggested by Sean was effective - I now see all symbols. But the reported issue still exists (with AlwaysDisplayUnrealSymbolsInItalics enabled, don't see any symbols in Find Symbol dialog with certain UE4 solutions)
feline Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 1:01:12 PM
So is everything now working correctly and as expected for you? It sounds like it is, I just want to make sure.
evolution Posted - Mar 07 2018 : 7:49:32 PM
Must have been a fluke or I read the data wrong - couldn't reproduce the other strange behavior I saw, so nevermind that bit. :)
evolution Posted - Mar 07 2018 : 7:25:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Try disabling AlwaysDisplayUnrealSymbolsInItalics ( https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/f/page?W807 ) to see if that makes a difference regarding "show only symbols defined in current solution" being checked. (The next release of VA will have UI for that setting: case=114813.) Edit the registry while all instances of VS are exited.

The AlwaysDisplayUnrealSymbolsInItalics setting controls display of symbols from projects named UE4 by classifying the project as 'outside' the solution -- also affecting the Find Symbol dialog.

So first step is, does disabling the setting have an effect on 0 symbols being listed?

Yes, that seems to do the trick. I had to rebuild symbol database again but after doing that it is now showing symbols from UE4 & game projects when I have "Show only symbols in current solution" checked.

I noticed some other strange behavior, though. Few secs while I verify what I saw then I'll post back.
sean Posted - Mar 07 2018 : 5:12:52 PM
Try disabling AlwaysDisplayUnrealSymbolsInItalics ( https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/f/page?W807 ) to see if that makes a difference regarding "show only symbols defined in current solution" being checked. (The next release of VA will have UI for that setting: case=114813.) Edit the registry while all instances of VS are exited.

The AlwaysDisplayUnrealSymbolsInItalics setting controls display of symbols from projects named UE4 by classifying the project as 'outside' the solution -- also affecting the Find Symbol dialog.

So first step is, does disabling the setting have an effect on 0 symbols being listed?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000