Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 "Open file in solution [loading...]" - super slow

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ManuEvans Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 3:53:57 PM
When I open the 'open file in solution' dialog to open a file, it hangs for a long time.
It shows "Open file in solution [loading...]" in the window titlebar, and sits for 5-10 seconds before the '[loading...]' part disappears and the window is populated and becomes interactive.

Can anyone suggest reasons why this would be so slow?
My solution is large, but it's instantaneous for everyone else on my team. My workstation's a beat. I have no idea where to look for problems.

I tried reinstalling and updating VisualAssist. I'm getting close to re-installing VS, but that costs 3 hours of work time >_<
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Dec 18 2017 : 7:25:56 PM
case=111851 is implemented in build 2248.
ManuEvans Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 5:50:27 PM
I'm good for now. Treat this as a case of user-error related gotcha.

It might also be worth considering that if that feature's enabled, it should probably bail out if it's found to take more than a second or so. It was taking 10 seconds or so to show the dialog in my case. Nobody will ever want that!
sean Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 5:43:20 PM
ahh -- I now see the predicament. I'll see if there's something we can do about it.
sean Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 5:41:57 PM
Ctrl+D but just when in the dialog -- it is not a general VS binding, the binding only is scoped to that toggle when the dialog is open.
ManuEvans Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 5:24:48 PM
Ctrl-D? That's curious, I bind Alt-Shift-O to Ctrl-D out of ancient legacy habit from ~2003 era VisualAssist (I think VA or some other similar plugin used to be Ctrl-D in the early 2000's?)..
I probably pressed it, noticed it didn't work, then remapped it ;)
sean Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 5:21:30 PM
That new feature is off by default. Ctrl+d will toggle the behavior -- also see "Include all files in solution directories" in the dialog context menu. That said, we do have an open case to improve both performance and responsiveness when that is enabled: case=111851
ManuEvans Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 5:15:32 PM
'Show only files in the current solution' is turned on. Toggling this option doesn't appear to make a significant difference. I left it on.

There is some CPU spike; devenv.exe idles at about 5% on my machine (seems high?), but when I show the dialog box, it spikes to max out one core on my machine solidly until the [loading...] text disappears, then it returns to it's idle CPU usage when the dialog becomes interactive.

When the dialog is populated, it shows [5 of 85935]. Yeah, it's a pretty big solution, but like I say, it's instant for everyone else on my team.

Solution mixes C/C++ and C# projects.

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project: is on

I just noticed a distinction between my PC and my colleagues PC, where my dialog shows [5 of 85935], they only have around 15000 files... which means VA is considering a LOT more files on my machine, and it wasn't clear where they were coming form.
Someone suggested they had problems with more recent VA versions, so we compared, and everyone here is running relatively older versions; in the 20xx - 21xx range. I had quite a recent version on my machine (new workstation).
I installed 2114 to match one of my colleagues, the problem went away.

There seems to be some feature added recently where it considers a lot more files in that dialog than it used to?
That seems to be the source of my problem. I'd suggest that new feature might need to be optimised before it's deployed enabled by default..?
feline Posted - Nov 16 2017 : 4:03:05 PM
A first thought, do you have:

Open File in Solution dialog -> Show only files in the current solution

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off, does turning it On make any difference?

Can you run task manager in detailed mode, and see if you are seeing a CPU or hard drive spike when this delay happens, and if it is coming from devenv.exe (the IDE) or something else?

Once the list of files is populated, if you look at the title bar there are two numbers. The first number is the number of files matching the current filter, while the second number is the total number of files VA is listing. Is the second number similar on your machine and your colleges machines? Or is your total number of files significantly larger?

Which programming language or languages are you working in?

Do you have:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

turned On or Off?

Don't try reinstalling the IDE, there are a few things to check before we consider something that drastic.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000