Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Open file in Solution - please open with context

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wilstark Posted - Oct 06 2017 : 5:56:23 PM
Consider the following scenario:
I have two projects A and B, they share a source file ("a.cs").
One project #define's FOO, the other does not.

When VS opens a file, it knows the project context, and the editor shows #ifdef'd out code as greyed/disabled. While debugging, breakpoints may not be set in such code.

Clearly, a project A and B will have different views of a.cs if there's an #if FOO block.

The project context seems to be determined by which file reference you double-click on in the VS Solution Explorer. Clicking on a.cs in project A will have A's context, for project B will have B's context.

When I use the Open File in Solution dialog (love it!), as of version 2217 I would see two entries for a.cs, each with it's own project context. But selecting either just opens the file with one project context (usually the wrong one for me :-( ). This dialog just seems to be unaware of opening a file with a particular context.

Now in 2235, a.cs shows up only once (one line) with both project A and B listed as the 'project'. So there's no possibility of opening with a desired project context.

Can the Open File in Solution dialog be enhanced to have a separate line for each project (like in 2217) that a file shows up in? And when you open that particular file from that line in the dialog, have the correct context? That would be great!

- Wil
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 08 2017 : 1:57:12 PM
Thank you for the clear description, this is a known problem that we are hoping to address relatively soon:

case=103728

The Open File dialog showing one entry for all of the duplicate files, or one entry for each instance of the files is controlled via the setting:

Open File in Solution dialog -> Right Click -> Combine duplicate file entries

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000