Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 alt-shift-g starts behaving like alt-shift-down

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jeffno Posted - Sep 29 2017 : 1:01:44 PM
Hi folks,

Seemingly at random, VA in VS 2015 seems to treat alt-shift-g (which is mapped to its default go-to-definition) as if I have hit alt-shift-down, so that the caret moves down a line and a column selection is started. If I alt-shift-g while a whole keyword is selected, that'll also behave like alt-shift-down by colum-selecting the keyword and the same amount of text on the next line down.

Disabling VA fixes it, but then of course I don't have go-to-definition :-)

Haven't seen it happen on VS2017.

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 11:49:00 AM
Yes, the symptoms described here do seem to be related to the CreateWindow failures caused by the Fall Creators Update. I have experienced the failure of the VA menus to be created in response to commands like alt+g and alt+shift+g.
NafetsPB Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 08:08:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

NafetsPB, after a restart of Visual Studio, are things any more reliable for you? If not, have you tried rebooting your machine? Since the root problem is coming from Windows its self, this might make a difference.

Well, I am usually shutting down at the end of a workday and then boot up the next day. However, since Windows 10 (or even 8) this is not the same as a reboot because we have the "fast shutdown" configured so I will try to keep an eye on that and do a specific reboot from now on. However, I cannot reboot the machine every time the problem occurs :)...

If I restart Visual Studio the problems disappear, at least for a while. Suddenly, at some point that I could not figure out yet, they appear again. I also still have random crashes of VS 2017 that VS blames VA for. However, that might also be related to the reboot vs. shutdown behavior of Windows 10. I will investigate further.
feline Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 06:44:05 AM
NafetsPB, after a restart of Visual Studio, are things any more reliable for you? If not, have you tried rebooting your machine? Since the root problem is coming from Windows its self, this might make a difference.

alex, thank you for the update, I am glad this is helping at least some people.
alex.postlethwaite Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 06:28:00 AM
quote:

I don't think we have actually confirmed it is related, but this is my best guess. Next time this happens, can you please try closing all open code files, and then re-opening just the file you are working in, and see if this has any effect?

Yeah I was closing all documents and that usually resolved the issues.

quote:
It's also worth trying the VA update, that tries to limit the Windows 10 update problems:

I've been running this updated setup for a couple of days now and the situation has improved for me.
NafetsPB Posted - Nov 03 2017 : 03:44:25 AM
quote:
Next time this happens, can you please try closing all open code files, and then re-opening just the file you are working in, and see if this has any effect?

Well, I was just trying that with VA_X_Setup2238_1.exe installed. Alt-G was not working anymore so I tried to close the file I was working in. This resulted in a crash of Visual Studio (updated to Version 15.4.2 yesterday).

I also observed that now the popup windows do not appear on the wrong screen anymore but now they are completely blank/white. This can only be resolved by restarting Visual Studio.
feline Posted - Nov 01 2017 : 06:29:21 AM
I don't think we have actually confirmed it is related, but this is my best guess. Next time this happens, can you please try closing all open code files, and then re-opening just the file you are working in, and see if this has any effect?

It's also worth trying the VA update, that tries to limit the Windows 10 update problems:

https://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2238_1.exe
alex.postlethwaite Posted - Nov 01 2017 : 06:12:52 AM
I've also been experiencing similar problems.

In my case, Alt-G (mapped to GotoImplementation) but it sometimes fails and Edit.MoveSelectedLinesDown is executed instead.

Edit.MoveSelectedLinesDown is mapped to Alt-Down.

I'm using VS 2017 on the Win 10 FCU (1709 Build 16299.19) so I guess it's related to the Win10 update issues discussed in many other threads.
feline Posted - Oct 24 2017 : 06:21:02 AM
This problem is also being discussed in this thread:

https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14034

Sean, one of our developers, has posted the following information:

quote:
Due to the nature of the problem, it'll probably take a few builds to nail down. We'll have a beta build in the next day or two with preliminary changes that help but do not completely fix it.

The root problem is that CreateWindowEx is failing intermittently. The crashes occur when Visual Studio asks us for an hwnd and the OS is unable to create one. The blank windows/space show that VA is able to cope with the failed hwnd creation (ie, not crash) but we can't prevent VS from crashing when it expects an hwnd.

Crash is less likely to occur if, when you encounter an active/focused editor that has a blank space where the VA Nav Bar is supposed to be, you close the editor.

If you do get a crash, you can identify the situation via find this managed exception:
System.InvalidOperationException: 'BuildWindowCore failed to return the hosted child window handle.'
jeffno Posted - Oct 23 2017 : 4:31:06 PM
@NafetsPB: Why yes, I was/am running a build of Fall Creators' Update...
feline Posted - Oct 20 2017 : 07:30:12 AM
Thank you for the update, this is interesting, especially since it is almost a "visual" effect, since you are not seeing the alt-g menu appear. I have replied to the Windows Fall update post in the thread:

https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14039
NafetsPB Posted - Oct 20 2017 : 03:37:30 AM
I also started seeing this problem since I did the update to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update a few days ago. Before it never appeared.

@jeffno: Did you use an Insider Preview build of the Fall Creators Update by any chance?

Here is our environment:

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2002 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 15.0.26929.2
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.19
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x407

Best Regards, Stefan.
feline Posted - Oct 10 2017 : 09:09:39 AM
The number of files seems really small to be running out of memory, so I assume these are very complex files.

We are working to keep the memory required for VA to a minimum, but we do still increase the memory requirements for the IDE.

Have you deleted the ".VC.db" in the root directory of your solution? This is where the IDE stores its intellisense database. If you have disabled this in the IDE, it shouldn't make any difference, just trying to think of things that might help.

Depending on which features of VA you use the most, you might try turning Off:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

and then, to take this a step further, press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Clear history, cache and temporary files

and restart the IDE. This will limit how helpful VA can be, but hopefully it will reduce the memory VA is using.

Beyond this, is splitting out some of the projects an option? Just link to the dll's they build?
jeffno Posted - Oct 09 2017 : 6:52:27 PM
Memory exhaustion could very well be the problem. This wouldn't be the first time I had this issue with this sln. (I've turned off native intellisense for this reason.)

2971 files. 114 projects.

I've also been running into frequent hangs (after a while), and the hangs at least look like memory exhaustion: the hang happened just as working set exceeded max...

(I haven't yet reproed the actual problem since your last reply- just been enjoying the hangs :-) )
feline Posted - Oct 06 2017 : 06:27:38 AM
This is strange. My first guess is the IDE is running short on some form of resource. Can you please download and run Process Explorer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

then right click on the column headings and go into "select columns", and make sure you have the following columns turned on:

Process Performance -> Handle Count

Process Memory -> Working Set Size
Process Memory -> Maximum Working Set
Process Memory -> Peak Working Set Size
Process Memory -> GDI Objects
Process Memory -> USER Objects

then compare these numbers for "devenv.exe" before the problem happens with when the problem starts to happen. VA should not be leaking resources, but perhaps there is something about your solution that is causing VA to use a lot of memory.

Also, how many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?
jeffno Posted - Oct 05 2017 : 5:50:05 PM
No utilities or extension that I know of that would affect keyboard shortcuts. In fact I went through and uninstalled some of the default extensions that I don't need.

The problem usually starts some tens of minutes into the session.

Alt-shift-Q: Well, this is odd. The cursor jumps to the left of the identifier, and then does the column-select-down thing, as if I had typed ctrl-left and then alt-shift-down in two separate chords.
feline Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 2:41:53 PM
Do you have any system utilities installed that might be capturing or altering keyboard shortcuts? Anything that picks up and responds to shortcut combinations to launch programs perhaps?

Do you have any other extensions installed that might be effecting how the keyboard shortcuts work?

Do you have a sense of how long it takes before this starts happening? Are we talking minutes or hours?

The fact that the menu command is also effected is deeply strange... perhaps the problem is instead tied to showing the menu for Goto Related, rather than the keyboard shortcut. When you are having this problem, what happens if instead you press Alt-Shift-Q, to bring up the Refactoring Context menu? Does this work correctly and reliably, or do you also see problems here?
jeffno Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 2:01:21 PM
New data point: Once this situation occurs, if I select "goto related" from the VA menu, the cursor moves down a line but doesn't column-select, i.e. as if I had merely pressed down-arrow instead of alt-shift-down.
Also, I'll change my estimate of how often the problem occurs once it has occurred once, to about 50%.
jeffno Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 12:27:39 PM
I should mention that it does appear to be a "fighting" issue like this, meaning that two interpretations are active and sometimes the wrong one beats VA to the finish line, so to speak: When I start the IDE, I'll be able to go an hour or two with correct behavior, but then it'll switch to the wrong behavior. But once in the broken state, if I attempt the shortcut many times, it will maybe 5% of the time give me the correct (VA) response.
jeffno Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 12:10:45 PM
I only have the VA GotoRelated entry.
feline Posted - Sep 30 2017 : 12:06:51 PM
That is strange, I am not sure what is going on here.

As a first check, can you please go into:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard

now pick any command, place the keyboard focus into the "Press shortcut keys" field, and press Alt-Shift-G, and then look at the "Shortcut currently used by" pull down list. For me, checking in VS2015, the pull down list only has two entries:

SQL.SSDTSchemaCompareGeneratedScript (Shift+Alt+G (Microsoft SQL Server Data Tool))
VAssistX.GotoRelated (Shift+Alt+G (Text Editor))

do you have any more entries on your system? I am specifically interested in any entries that may have Global scope, or another scope that might easily get triggered when you are working in the editor. If focus has moved from the editor window, then perhaps a different keyboard shortcut mapping is being activated, which might explain what you are seeing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000