Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 "Collapse all" button for VA References

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
asteiner Posted - Sep 23 2014 : 07:29:56 AM
When a symbol is used in many places, the references found by "VA Find References" gets very long. I like that the result three is structured by project and file and that by default the tree is expanded.

However, sometimes I just want to know in what projects or files the symbol is used. Then, I have to manually collapse each filename node. It would be nice to have a "Collapse all" button or menu item which does the same in only one click.

A similar button can be found in the VS2012 Solution Explorer ("Collapse all").
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 24 2018 : 2:33:03 PM
case=2488 is implemented in build 2291 (see context menu in Find References results tool window).
feline Posted - Oct 03 2017 : 09:40:13 AM
The reason I asked about projects is that if you are searching for a symbol that is used across 15 projects, then collapsing the results to only show the project nodes may well be useful and make sense. But if most of the time the project nodes are not really relevant, then just collapse all is going to get you what you are looking for, which is a useful overview of where the references are.
Uflex Posted - Oct 03 2017 : 06:19:53 AM
I have just realized (having just done it again) that the number of project doesn't really matter for what I asked for (which is slightly different from the OP).

Collapsing everything will only show projects
Collapsing all files will show all projects and each file name where the symbol is used, which is potentially a lot of files

Hope this helps clarifying things :)
feline Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 2:59:32 PM
With this many projects collapsing to show file nodes makes sense, so I have put a note on the case about this, to see if the feature can be reasonably extended to offer more options.
Uflex Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 1:17:12 PM
We've got 30 projects in the solution. Maybe this is not a common use case but I would find it useful to have an option somewhere instead of manually collapsing them all (which I do sometimes).
feline Posted - Sep 28 2017 : 1:22:59 PM
How many projects do you tend to have results spread across? If you only have one or two project nodes, then this is very little to manually expand and explore. I am trying to keep the number of options fairly small and focused here.
Uflex Posted - Sep 28 2017 : 05:09:59 AM
The above suggestion would indeed be nice. I would also add a "collapse all files" option to be able to still show the file names inside the projects.

It would make for a nice top level view of the code that can then be drilled down if necessary.

Thank you!
feline Posted - Sep 23 2014 : 6:22:31 PM
This makes sense, and we are considering adding this ability:

case=2488

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000