Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Open File in Folder View

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fyst Posted - May 04 2017 : 10:29:15 AM
I'm loving the new Folder View in VS but I prefer Visual Assist's style of open files to VS's native methods. Is there a way to get "Open File in Solution" to search the folder view or perhaps another open file option I'm missing?

Thanks!

Edit: Basically, I like the scope of the new "Edit->Go To->File" but I prefer VA's Open File in Solution behavior in every other regard.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Feb 21 2018 : 5:45:01 PM
case=111480 was opened for changes to OFIS dialog.
case=111480 is implemented in build 2258.
feline Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 2:11:04 PM
For me this still works, and I know VA is picking up the correct extra files, since the "Project" column in the Open File dialog is listing "files_not_in_solution" for all of the test files I am checking.

I have emailed you about this, so I can attach my test project. This way we can get to the point where we are checking the same things on the same solution.
fyst Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 11:48:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

How do you load a solution in Folder View directly?

You open it directly by right clicking the folder containing the code and then selecting "Open in Visual Studio".

quote:
I have changed to Folder View in the solution explorer window, which works as expected.

This doesn't work for me. Verify that you are attempting to open a file that isn't in the actual solution.

quote:

Open File in Solution dialog -> Right Click -> Include all files in solution directories

Yes, I've had it on since it was first released and just confirmed its still on and the status doesn't change when I flip back and forth between normal Solution Explorer and Folder View.

Thanks for investigating :)
feline Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 07:18:48 AM
How do you load a solution in Folder View directly? I have changed to Folder View in the solution explorer window, which works as expected. But when I then close and reload VS2017, or keep the IDE open and just close and reload the solution (folder), solution explorer returns to the solution view, not the folder view.

If you open VA's Open File dialog, and right click into the dialog, do you have:

Open File in Solution dialog -> Right Click -> Include all files in solution directories

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off, what effect does turning this On have when you reload the solution?
fyst Posted - Oct 02 2017 : 01:29:26 AM
First thanks for implementing this. Its been working great for me until my workflow changed for certain projects I'm working on. If you load a solution first and then switch to folder view, Visual Assist's Open File In Solution will not find files not in the solution. If I load the Folder View directly, it will work.
sean Posted - Jun 16 2017 : 8:44:22 PM
case=106017 is implemented in build 2219
feline Posted - May 05 2017 : 09:01:33 AM
Thank you for the explanation fyst, I have not really come across this way of working before, or the problems it is going to produce. Understanding what you are doing and working with makes this feature request make a lot more sense.
fyst Posted - May 04 2017 : 3:41:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

The current behavior is that when the checkbox is unchecked, files noted as [External] get added to the list. They are files that are not explicitly listed in projects (ie, vcxproj) but are #included in files that are.

An inclusive disk-based search option makes sense. case=106017

Thanks Sean!
fyst Posted - May 04 2017 : 3:37:44 PM
Re:Feline: Txt files and font files do show up in find if they are actually part of the Solution (and they would show up in the Solution Explorer "normal view"). However, one of the reasons for the introduction of the new Folder View is to avoid having to add reference files to the Solution just to facilitate easier navigation and give a visual reference to the structure. For years most of us worked around this by creating dummy projects (or the newer Solution Folders) that were updated on file changes via scripts by essentially modifying the xml directly (too slow to do this manually but it was possible). Its either that or we were forced to place our code and reference files alongside the project file just to take advantage of the "include in project" function but still had to manage file changes manually.

Microsoft has heard our pleas and introduced the Folder View for the Solution Explorer. This automatically picks up the file structure, updates automatically on file changes (add, remove, rename, etc), doesn't pollute the actual Solution, and is searchable.
sean Posted - May 04 2017 : 3:25:46 PM
The current behavior is that when the checkbox is unchecked, files noted as [External] get added to the list. They are files that are not explicitly listed in projects (ie, vcxproj) but are #included in files that are.

An inclusive disk-based search option makes sense. case=106017
feline Posted - May 04 2017 : 3:23:07 PM
If txt files are actually part of the solution, then they are shown in the Open File dialog, at least, they always have been for me.

.ttf files, aren't these font files? If so, I am not sure how they would be opened in the IDE, I was not aware that the IDE supported editing font's directly. Or are you using the file extension for a different type of file?
fyst Posted - May 04 2017 : 3:20:42 PM
In my case that would be ideal but I could live with it as is so long as it picked up all file types.
sean Posted - May 04 2017 : 3:14:33 PM
For folder-based solutions, that is what you get by default when 'show only files..' is checked -- but if you have a solution file then the contents of the list is solely what is listed as members of the projects in the solution.

Would you want to see disk-based contents of the solution when 'show only...' is checked or unchecked?
Maybe a new setting to always list a disk-based solution directory search regardless of the state of that checkbox?
fyst Posted - May 04 2017 : 2:05:27 PM
Hmm, I should have done more testing. Open File In Solution is picking up some files (.h, .cpp) but not others (.txt, .ttf) if I uncheck the show only files in the current solution (they show up under the External project).

The issue is also a bit of a gray area. Is the new Folder View considered part of the solution or not? Given some of Microsoft's reasons for adding the Folder View, how the Folder View is populated, and our usage cases, I would argue those files should fall under "in the solution" which would mean I shouldn't need to uncheck "show only files in the current solution". Of course, others may view it differently.
fyst Posted - May 04 2017 : 1:35:04 PM
If I run "Open File in Solution" it will find files listed in the Solution Explorer's normal view. If I run "Go To File" it will find files listed in the Solution Explorer's normal view AND the Solution Explorer's Folder View (click the new button called "Solutions and Folders" at the top of the Solution Explorer to toggle). VA's Open File will not find these files even if I uncheck the "show only files in the current solution."

Edit: Sorry, by "scope" I meant the search scope.
feline Posted - May 04 2017 : 1:13:46 PM
I started replying before your edit. What do you mean by the scope? I did not know about this new command in VS2017, but looking at it, it just looks like it is letting you search for a filename in your solution, which VA's Open File dialog also lets you do.

Can you explain what you are actually looking for?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000