Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 How to migrate settings between VS versions?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrDoomMaster Posted - Jun 06 2017 : 2:25:30 PM
I have VA installed on VS 2015 and VS 2017. VS 2017 does not have all my settings from 2015. How can I make them both share the same settings, or at least easily migrate my settings from VS 2015 to VS 2017?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 02 2020 : 08:47:50 AM
Yes you can, for VS2017 the registry keys use "VANet15" and for VS2019 the registry keys use "VANet16", so it is the same process, just replacing "VANet15" with "VANet16" this time.
KeyC0de Posted - Nov 01 2020 : 4:47:38 PM
I assume a similar process can be done for transfer to Visual Studio 2019 from Visual Studio 2017, yes?
feline Posted - Jun 07 2017 : 04:58:53 AM
Thank you for the update, this should have imported all of your VA settings correctly. We are looking into an easier fix, but I don't yet have an estimate for when we will get to this.
MrDoomMaster Posted - Jun 06 2017 : 4:57:42 PM
Seems like this worked. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to an "Import" option in VAX that will automate these editing steps for the user.
feline Posted - Jun 06 2017 : 3:00:38 PM
Currently this has to be done "manually", but it is fairly quick and easy.

First export your IDE and VA settings. Obviously you only need the IDE settings if VS2017 has not already picked up everything you want.

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

The IDE settings can be imported directly into the newer version of the IDE. This will also import your VA colours. For VA settings, find the .reg file, exported to the directory:

%APPDATA%\VisualAssist
open this file in a text editor, and delete most of the blocks. The only block you actually want or need is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\VANet14]

To migrate these settings to VS2017, change "VANet14" to "VANet15". Make sure all instances of the IDE are closed, save this .reg file and then run it to import these settings into the registry.

Longer term, we are looking to do this automatically:

case=79188

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000