Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Code Inspection crashes VS 2015 IDE

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rpalma Posted - Mar 27 2017 : 03:44:31 AM
Hi,

There seems to be an issue with the Code Inspection feature, making VS 2015 crash completely. It seems to be related to the contents of some .cpp files, as the issue is consistently reproducible for the offending source files. Turning off code inspection fixes the crash issue.
The problem was already present in VA build 2210, but remains in build 2212.

Technical information:
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2212.0 built 2017.03.23
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.10586.839
Windows 10 10.0 Build 10586
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x813

Contents of VaCodeInspections.log:
[LI] loading
ERROR: Exception: The "CL" rule is missing the "LanguageStandard" property.
Callstack = at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.Utilities.ProjectErrorUtilities.ThrowProjectExceptionHelper(Exception innerException, String unformattedMessage, Object[] args)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.Utilities.ProjectErrorUtilities.ThrowProjectException(String message, Object arg0, Object arg1)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCRulePropertyStorage.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<<GetEvaluatedPropertyValue>b__0>d.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.<>c__DisplayClass9_0`1.<<Invoke>b__0>d.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.CompleteOnCurrentThread()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask`1.CompleteOnCurrentThread()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.Run[T](Func`1 asyncMethod, JoinableTaskCreationOptions creationOptions)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.Run[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.Invoke[TResult](Func`1 method)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCRulePropertyStorage.GetEvaluatedPropertyValue(String propertyName)

at WholeTomato.VaCodeInspections.VisualStudio.ProjectItemInspector.GetStdFlags(VCConfiguration vcConfig)
INFO: New FileParser: D:\[Development]\Dev_C2m_2015\Most Recent\Features\C2mUi\PowerFlex\PowerFlexGraphView.cpp
[BegTask 1.1] Parse
[EndTask 1.1] 3388ms
[BegTask 1.2] BufferListener.Deactivate
[EndTask 1.2] 69ms
ERROR: Exception: The "CL" rule is missing the "LanguageStandard" property.
Callstack = at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.Utilities.ProjectErrorUtilities.ThrowProjectExceptionHelper(Exception innerException, String unformattedMessage, Object[] args)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ProjectSystem.Utilities.ProjectErrorUtilities.ThrowProjectException(String message, Object arg0, Object arg1)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCRulePropertyStorage.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<<GetEvaluatedPropertyValue>b__0>d.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.<>c__DisplayClass9_0`1.<<Invoke>b__0>d.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.CompleteOnCurrentThread()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask`1.CompleteOnCurrentThread()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.Run[T](Func`1 asyncMethod, JoinableTaskCreationOptions creationOptions)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTaskFactory.Run[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.Invoke[TResult](Func`1 method)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCRulePropertyStorage.GetEvaluatedPropertyValue(String propertyName)

at WholeTomato.VaCodeInspections.VisualStudio.ProjectItemInspector.GetStdFlags(VCConfiguration vcConfig)
INFO: New FileParser: D:\[Development]\Dev_C2m_2015\Most Recent\Features\C2mUi\PowerFlex\PowerFlexCanvasNavigatorView.cpp
[BegTask 2.1] Parse

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Apr 26 2017 : 5:09:14 PM
The crash fixes are available in build 2217.
rpalma Posted - Apr 06 2017 : 04:43:42 AM
Thanks for providing me with a second modified .dll.

I can confirm that this specific crash scenario is resolved by using the modified .dll.

rpalma Posted - Apr 05 2017 : 06:44:09 AM
While one crash scenario has been fixed, unfortunately I have to report that turning on the Code Inspection feature still causes VS 2015 to crash frequently.

For now, I found one other scenario that is 100% reproducible: opening a certain .cpp file will cause VS 2015 to crash, only when Code Inspection is turned on. I will upload the VS 2015 mini dump via the contact form (FYI: I am still using the modified .dll file that was provided earlier). I also tried opening this file in VS 2017, which crashed as well.

feline Posted - Mar 28 2017 : 06:51:28 AM
Thank you for the update, and the help in tracking down this problem.
rpalma Posted - Mar 28 2017 : 03:23:23 AM
I can confirm that the crash issue is fixed when using the modified dll that was provided.

Thanks to the team for providing a quick solution!
feline Posted - Mar 27 2017 : 2:36:58 PM
Not being able to compile is expected, I was just wondering if the dependencies were required for the crash. Some problems can be reproduced with just a single file that does not compile, but obviously this is not one of these cases.

Thank you for checking, and also for sending in the mini dump.
rpalma Posted - Mar 27 2017 : 10:51:11 AM
The VS mini dump has been submitted via the form.

These source files are part of a large solution, with a lot of dependencies. Copying only the contents of these to a new solution will end up in something that doesn't compile.
Anyway, I did that and in that case there is no crash.
feline Posted - Mar 27 2017 : 09:26:41 AM
Can you please reproduce this and save out a mini dump of the crash, and then send us this mini dump please:

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Also, if you have the time, can you please try opening one of these problem files in a new, default solution, and see if you still get this problem? I have tried opening one problem .c file here, but so far no crashes, so I am wondering if your files will cause a crash on their own, or if the solution context is also required.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000