Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 find assignment references

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smacl Posted - Sep 08 2016 : 05:04:12 AM
While one of the simpler tools, Find References is one I use very often. A great addition to this would be have an option to either filter or sort references by type, e.g. assignment, comparison, pass by value, pass by address etc.. The one I usually am looking for is where a variable is likely to be modified, where I'm interested in code that changes a variable rather than just reading its value. Thus if I'm looking for int A, currently I get lines such as

if (X==A) b();  // A doesn't change
A = X;  // A does change
f(A);  void f(int &A)  // A could change 
f(A);  void f(int A)  // A doesn't change
f(&A);  void f(int *A)  // A could change

It would be great to filter search for references based on whether A does, doesn't or might get changed.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mordachai Posted - Oct 12 2016 : 11:53:22 AM
I would also like this to be a 1st class "Find Assignments" or somesuch. I need that information about 50% of the time, and having to change the results filter to get at what I need is sub-optimal. "Find All References" + "Find all accessors" + "find all writers" would be really useful set of fly-outs - where the first one is the current impl., and the others just apply the correct initial filters.
smacl Posted - Oct 08 2016 : 07:07:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

Are you aware of our current filtering methods? You can filter by write and read references.

We're also considering to indicate lines where symbol might be modified in Find References Results list:

case=9955

I've been using this feature now and find it great, but it does need an extra category for handling pass by reference cases, where the variable could get written to by a function it is passed to under another name, e.g.

void set(int &var, int value)
{
  var = value;
}

int x = 0;
set(x,1);  // VA lists this as a read, but it is actually a write

This problem also exists on certain operator overloads, such as CArchive::>> in MFC
smacl Posted - Sep 15 2016 : 02:42:27 AM
Wasn't aware of this, should have RTFM ;)
accord Posted - Sep 14 2016 : 6:23:02 PM
Are you aware of our current filtering methods?

You can filter by write and read references.

We're also considering to indicate lines where symbol might be modified in Find References Results list:

case=9955

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000