Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Open file and goto line command

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pwc Posted - Feb 08 2016 : 12:06:18 PM
I often review logs from various analysis tools that put output in standard Visual Studio format (filename followed by line number in parentheses). Right now I have to copy the filename from the log, go to VS and execute the 'open file in solution' command, paste in the filename and open the file, then press ctrl+g to go to the line number which I memorized.

It'd be great to have a command that would check for text on the clipboard and if it is in filename(line#) format, open the file and go to that line.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pwc Posted - Dec 02 2016 : 11:08:19 AM
Verified. Thanks for the feature.
sean Posted - Sep 17 2016 : 2:48:13 PM
case=32171 is implemented in build 2112.
feline Posted - Feb 29 2016 : 9:12:19 PM
This makes sense, and I have put in a feature request to import the log file into the output window directly:

case=95379
pwc Posted - Feb 26 2016 : 4:00:26 PM
The primary source of these logs is Microsoft's Code Analysis which we run on a server and import the log file because running it locally takes many hours.
feline Posted - Feb 08 2016 : 12:44:32 PM
This is something we are considering adding, but currently I don't have any estimate for when we might do this:

case=32171

What is the source of the file names and line numbers? If you are generating the logging in your code, could you use VA Snippets to insert the logging lines, and use the $MethodName$ inside the snippet, to insert the name of the function you are inside?

You can then open the log file as a txt file in the IDE and use Alt-g on the function name, and VA will attempt to jump to this function.

There is also the __FUNCTION__ macro, along with a few others that I did not know about, listed here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b0084kay.aspx

that should also help with alt-g.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000