Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Junk left at end of identifier from suggestion box

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tjcbs Posted - Jan 19 2016 : 01:22:45 AM
This is a problem which happens when editing an identifier:

VS2013, VA 10.9.2068.0
Intellisense is disabled.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tjcbs Posted - Aug 01 2016 : 6:40:14 PM
Ugh, sorry, you are right.

"2" works correctly. I mixed up the numbers, and thought 2 was never overwrite.

I was messing with it though, because "0" (Default, overwrite unless known symbol) doesn't seem to work anymore. At least if you are selecting a function, it always overwrites, whether or not a known symbol is to the right.
feline Posted - Aug 01 2016 : 10:44:01 AM
Can you give me a code sample, to show what you are doing? So far I cannot reproduce this. I am testing VS2015, and have tested with VA 2093, 2094 and 2107. I am using C++, and testing with the following code:

void simpleEnd()	{ }
void simpleGhrnsd()	{ }
void testSimple()	{ }

static void testGeneralCode()
{
	simpleGhrnsd();
	simpleEnd();
}

I am placing the caret before the two function calls, "simpleGhrnsd()" and "simpleEnd()", then simply starting typing "testS", and when "testSimple" is suggested, I am accepting it.

With the registry key CompletionOverwriteBehavior set to 1, ONE, the code is never over written. If you really have this registry key set to 2, which is defined as meaning always overwrite text, this would explain what you are seeing.
tjcbs Posted - Jul 31 2016 : 02:29:40 AM
This has been broken in VS2015, VA 2094.

If you are selecting a function from the selection box, the text to the right of the caret is overwritten, no matter what.

This fails, even if I have the registry setting detailed in the link above set to 2(never overwrite).
feline Posted - Jan 21 2016 : 10:55:57 PM
Unfortunately, yes, this setting was added in VA 2083, so you will need a newer version to do this.

Data may not be a valid identifier, but you are still typing. We don't know that you are not about to enter "classWithDataMember." next. You can come up with examples that show this is a bad, or a good behaviour. We hope that it is a generally helpful default behaviour, and added the setting for when it is not helpful.

You can download and run our current version in trial mode, to test this out, if it helps:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp
tjcbs Posted - Jan 20 2016 : 11:44:31 PM
I guess this has been added after my version of VA? Also, it is worth nothing that "Data" is not a valid identifier (though many classes in scope have "Data()" members.
feline Posted - Jan 19 2016 : 2:25:57 PM
By default, if the text to the right of the caret, "Data" in this case, is a known symbol, then VA leaves it in place, otherwise it replaces it. You can change this behaviour, as explained here:

https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W640

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000