Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA + VS2015 XAML editor causes IDE hang

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jyoung Posted - Jan 02 2016 : 8:33:15 PM
While using VS150 XAML editor for a C++/CX Universal Windows Project the IDE will randomly hang and not respond to mouse clicks when VA is enabled. The odd thing is that when this occurs the IDE still responds to keyboard shortcuts. When the IDE is in this hanged state, using the KB shortcuts I can navigate to the VAssistX menu and disable VA. After disabling VA the IDE then starts responding to mouse activity.

I've also submitted this issues to Microsoft along with VS2015 dump files.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 04 2016 : 10:03:29 AM
It is good to know you have found a reliable way to trigger this problem, and a temporary work around. If you have the time, can you please try making a new, default project and then just adding the single XAML file that you are opening to trigger this problem.

Do you still get the problem when opening this file? I am wondering if it only takes a single file to trigger the problem, if there is any chance of getting a copy of the file for testing purposes. I know this is often not possible, but it's worth asking on the off chance.
jyoung Posted - Apr 03 2016 : 4:17:25 PM
I've uploaded another log file that was generated while reproducing this issue. I've have found that I'm able to reliably reproduce the problem. I have a solution with several projects. One of the projects contains custom XAML controls used by the target application of the solution. If I open one of the XAML files from Solution Explorer in the controls project then Visual Studio hangs, ignoring any mouse clicks. I have to use keyboard shortcuts to disable and re-enable VA. Only then can I get my mouse ability back. One caveat is that the XAML file that I'm opening from Solution Explorer cannot already be open in Visual Studio.
accord Posted - Mar 07 2016 : 02:23:44 AM
We got the log files, thank you. We'll investigate.
jyoung Posted - Mar 06 2016 : 1:12:59 PM
I was able to reproduce this issue again while VA logging was enabled. I uploaded the log file using the customer assistance form.
jyoung Posted - Jan 30 2016 : 12:41:58 PM
It happened again today. As soon as I opened a XAML file in VS2015 I was unable to use the mouse to select any of the menus in VS2015. Using keyboard shortcuts, I disabled VAX and was then able to use my mouse. After re-enabling VAX everything seemed to be behaving normally.
jyoung Posted - Jan 06 2016 : 12:39:04 AM
I successfully uploaded the sump file.
sean Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 10:02:43 PM
Sorry for the hassle. The ceiling has been increased to accommodate your file. Can you please try one more time?
jyoung Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 9:44:44 PM
I'm still having the same problem uploading the file. Even compressed it's 356MB in size. Do you have another way I can deliver it?
support Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 8:09:58 PM
We adjusted our website to accept larger files.

Can you retry your upload?
sean Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 4:56:26 PM
Sorry for the trouble. It appears our new website is not properly configured to allow uploads of greater than ~28MB. We are investigating.
jyoung Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 3:21:19 PM
When I try to upload the dump file I get this response.

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp?posted=1

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this
�Make sure you�ve got the right web address: http://www.wholetomato.com
�Refresh the page
�Search for what you want
jyoung Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 3:12:02 PM
I'm running VS2015 Update 1.
In particular none of the menus or the file tabs respond to the mouse clicks. I always happens then a XAML file is in focus in the designer.
For sure the left mouse does not work. When it happens again I'll test the right button.
I'll be sending the dump files.
Dusan Posted - Jan 05 2016 : 1:38:10 PM
Could you please specify VS2015 version you use?

Some specific part of IDE does not respond to mouse clicks or IDE completely does not respond to mouse clicks?

Is the behavior specific for some mouse buttons,
or none of mouse buttons does work?

Could you please use our contact form and send dump files to us?
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
jyoung Posted - Jan 04 2016 : 09:48:08 AM
I'm using the latest version of VA. I have not turned on any of the mouse actions.
Dusan Posted - Jan 04 2016 : 03:33:07 AM
Could you please specify which VA version do you use?
Do you have enabled some mouse action on Mouse page of VA Options dialog?
Does issue persist, if you disable all those VA mouse actions?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000