Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 View all calls to/from a function in C++

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HateDread Posted - Sep 23 2015 : 11:04:41 PM
I'm trying to find a faster and more reliable alternative to the Right Click -> View Call Hierarchy button (on a function name) in Visual Studio 2013 when dealing with C++. It takes forever to generate, and often misses calls (even calls to/from the same file, mind you!)

It'd be nice if I could quickly find all of the calls to the chosen function, and all of the calls coming out of it. Not even something fancy like a big graph or tree, however.

It's one of those Visual Studio features that is performed in a slow and cumbersome fashion, and which I have become accustomed to VAX replacing. I hope that this continues to occur :)

Thanks!

EDIT: An image of the current VS solution. Of course it's still 'Searching...' ;)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Sep 24 2015 : 2:21:23 PM
The closest we have to this is VA Find References:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W189

When you use it on a method or function, the calls will be indicated with a distinctive icon. If you turn off showing declarations (via right click menu or simply hitting D key) you will end up with the calls.
It's not hierarchical in a way how Call Hierarchy is, so you will need to navigate there, and launch another Find Reference to dive deeper. However, you can clone the content of the window so you can come easily back to the original list.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000