Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA View 'hover browser' as Tooltip

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shambler Posted - Jul 30 2015 : 1:47:25 PM
One feature of the VA View window I never noticed, until recently, is the 'Hovering Class Browser', which displays the class layout of whatever you are hovering over in the code:
http://wholetomato.com/features/feature-tool-windows.asp#view

My VA view window is set to 'auto hide', so that it only ever shows up if I hover over it (i.e. VA View pops out when I hover over, and disappears when I move back to the code window - this saves a lot of screen space) - so, this means that it's not practical for me to use the 'Hovering Class Browser' feature.

So, it would be nice to have the details for this come up in a tooltip instead when I hover over stuff instead - there could be a key which allows you to (when held down) toggle between the normal tooltip, and the 'Hovering Class Browser' tooltip (something simple like e.g. holding Ctrl).

This would allow me to use this feature, and it would be extremely handy, because usually I go 'Ctrl+Click' to 'peek preview' structs and such, to see their layout - this would help me see the layout far quicker, and in-line with what I already normally do.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shambler Posted - Aug 23 2015 : 07:23:56 AM
Cheers :) I use Alt+Shift+F all the time, but I've not checked out Alt+Shift+G much yet; that does seem to provide much of the same information, as the VA View tip.

While that is nice and I may use it more, the nice thing about the VA View 'Hovering Class Browser', is that it requires no interaction at all, so can be used to orient yourself with code much faster - so I think that would still make it a valuable feature.
accord Posted - Aug 21 2015 : 12:52:40 PM
Thank you for the gif anim it shows the idea clearly. It makes sense especially with the alternate formatting. I have put in an enhancement request for this:

case=91529

Anyway, are you aware of "Goto Member of..." part of Goto Related? (Alt+Shift+G) It's kind of similar to your idea: it shows all members of a class/struct or all items of an enum in a new, easily dismissable window (e.g. ESC). You can filter the list or even copy the name to the clipboard (Ctrl+C over the item name) before dismissing.

Take a look at the documentation of this feature if you are not familiar with it:
http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W515

Note that you can assign a shortcut to VAssistX.GotoMember to access it even faster.

Do you still think that the tooltip would add value instead of "Goto Member of..."?
Shambler Posted - Aug 19 2015 : 04:24:54 AM
Ah, forgot about this - excuse the delay in replying.

I've made a quick gif file, which gives a very good look at the feature I'm talking about, the problem with auto-hide, and how it would be better as a tooltip:
http://i.imgur.com/XE2hhwY.gif
accord Posted - Aug 05 2015 : 04:39:10 AM
quote:
'peek preview' structs and such

Do you mean the peak feature of VS2013/VS2015? (alt+F12 by default)
Currently, VA View is presenting way too much information (in a scrollable way) to fit into a tooltip (e.g. all members for a class).
What type of information would you like to see there that would fit in a tooltip?
If you aren't using it yet, VS2013/2015's peek definition should be what you want, you just need to press ESC to close the "tooltip" like editor window.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000