Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Confusing list of Methods in current file

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xMRi Posted - Jan 26 2015 : 02:13:57 AM
I always get confused when I have a Forward declaration of a class and a class definition in the same file.

1. I see the name twice with the same symbol. AND the order is random. Sometimes the definition is the first item sometimes the declaration. So it is just random what I get.
2. It is rare but some of my files contain #if #else blocks. That deactivate some classes. Or some blocks contain the same class but with complete different behavior. Also here the sequence in the order is not kept. The name appears twice.

Possible solutions:
A: If the name and the symbol is the same. Always keep the order in the file. So that the declaration is the first and the definition follows in the list of methods.

B: Much better. Use gray colors and different symbols AND keep the order. So that a non active class (commented out with an #ifdef) will be shown in grey in the list of methods.

BTW: The Problem is the same in idl files.

TIA

Thanks for your great software!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Apr 10 2015 : 11:30:16 PM
case=87549 is fixed in build 2062.
xMRi Posted - Jan 28 2015 : 09:09:12 AM
Thanks!
Again a great helpful support!
feline Posted - Jan 27 2015 : 7:40:29 PM
Thank you for the file, I am seeing the same effect, at least some of the time. I am wondering if the order is actually random, but if so that just proves that it is unhelpful. I have put in a bug report for identically named items being in a random order:

case=87549

and I have put in a feature request to filter out forward declarations from the Alt-m list:

case=87550

Two separate cases since forward declarations aren't going to be the only time you get duplicate names in the alt-m list.
xMRi Posted - Jan 27 2015 : 01:09:33 AM
Thanks for your response.

Yes sorting is alphabetical. And this is what I want.
Afaik the Problem is reliable (for one file) but it is random. So sometime the Name appear in the alphabetical and than ordered by Position sometimes (for other symbols) not.

I uploaded a file (idl) file with a more detailed effect I can see in this file. So I hope you will see the same.
Including in the contact form you will find a description what symbols cause such problems or ordered randomly.

Just from my point of view:
The confusing thing is that declaration and definition are shown in the same way. But in nearly all cases in the list of methods I am never interested in forward declarations.
So either give them an other symbol or an option to hide them. Having them ordered always by position in the file would help much.
Or give an option to hide this. In fact I am not interested in such positions in the source. In 9,99% I need the definition of a function or class...
feline Posted - Jan 26 2015 : 12:34:47 PM
If you go into VA options and change the setting:

VA Options -> Display -> Display VA Navigation Bar:
Occurrence / Alphabetical sort of methods in dropdown

to Occurrence does this help with some of these problems? I am guessing you have the list set to Alphabetical sort currently.

When you see the ordering problem, is it random over time, or is each file producing a reliable, but "random" result? I have done some testing here, and I am always getting the same order in the Alt-M list, and for me the forward declaration is always coming first.

So if you have a file that produces a consistent and wrong result would it be possible to get a copy of the file, for testing purposes? I could then try to figure out what is triggering this effect.

I appreciate this is often not possible, but it's worth asking on the off chance. If this is possible please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Showing inactive code in grey in the Alt-M list is an interesting idea. We don't currently have a good sense of what is active and what is inactive code, but I have put in a feature request for this, since if we could pin this down it makes sense:

case=87532

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000