Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA suddenly stopped working

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pates Posted - Nov 04 2014 : 2:45:48 PM
Visual Assist is no longer operational on my system. At least none of my favorite keyboard shortcuts have any effect (Alt-G, Alt-Shift-Q, Ctrl-Shift-V, etc.). I've verified that VA is set to enabled in the VASSISTX menu.

It's possible that I inadvertently tweaked a setting - is there a way to restore all VA settings to defaults?

Here's my info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.8.2043.0 built 2014.07.10
DevEnv.exe version 11.0.61030.0 Premium
msenv.dll version 11.0.61030.0
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.17514
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
4 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409
Platform: Project defined

IDE: Visual Studio Premium 2012, Version 11.0.61030.00 Update 4
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
suffers_from_ocd Posted - Aug 10 2016 : 3:34:12 PM
I still have this problem even on 2108 with VS2015 Update 2. Uninstalling the "TextMate" extension fixed it though!
sean Posted - Aug 02 2016 : 4:16:57 PM
The build 2107 failure to load was case=98983.
case=98983 is fixed in build 2108.
GregDude Posted - Jul 26 2016 : 04:31:24 AM
It has happened again just now accord.
I will try the test dll and let you know if it reoccurs. My current version was build 2107.

EDIT: Replacing the dll has restored VA for now. I'll reply in the newer forum thread in future. Thank you.
accord Posted - Jul 26 2016 : 03:56:09 AM
GregDude: I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. If it happens again, we already have a test dll that should solve the problem assuming this is the same problem we fixed. Sean posted the steps to install it on Jul 25 2016 : 7:11:56 PM, in this thread: http://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12708
GregDude Posted - Jul 26 2016 : 02:24:21 AM
Not sure if there's a newer thread, but I just experienced a similar issue.

VA tool bar was visible but all icons were grayed out. Syntax highlighting showed VA was not active. No keyboard shortcuts worked.

Rebooting the PC and restarting Visual Studio had no effect.

I managed to get it working again after trying these steps (some of which may not have been necessary.)
Reinstalled VA (without uninstalling)
Disabled VA
Enabled VA

Appears to be working again now. No idea why it stopped.
I had updated to the latest version about two days earlier.
accord Posted - Aug 18 2015 : 2:35:00 PM
Thank you for the workaround.
ibex-alice Posted - Aug 13 2015 : 11:06:47 AM
Don't mean to dig up/hijack an old thread, but I've been having this issue too - or at least, something very similar.

Visual Assist keyboard shortcuts keep randomly disappearing and I can't tell what causes it to happen. All other Visual Studio shortcuts are fine. Initially I fixed it by reinstalling Visual Assist but after it happened again I tried fiddling with some settings. This seems to work:

Go to: Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard: and where it says "Apply the following additional keyboard mapping scheme:" switch to a different scheme and then back again.
feline Posted - Jan 21 2015 : 12:52:05 PM
This is most odd. The first strange effect, with VA not being active after loading the IDE, but becoming active after a few moments / minutes, sounds like VA was doing a full symbol database rebuild, and was not active and ready until it had finished parsing, and knew what was going on.

These further problems though, do you know if you or your colleague installed any IDE or extension updates in the last couple of days?

Do you remember what you saw on your machine when you went into the IDE Extension and Updates dialog? If VA was shown as disabled then you should not have seen the VA toolbar at all. This is what sounds like happened on your colleagues machines, but I don't know why.

For you, VA is in an even stranger state. Next time you see this, can you please try opening the IDE VAssistX menu and see what options are enabled? Specifically, can you load the VA options dialog?

What about the option:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

does this make any difference?

How are you loading the IDE? Via a shortcut? By double clicking on a SLN file? Are you passing the IDE any command line switches?

I am just looking for clues here, it almost sounds like there is an interaction problem with something else, but what?
Menelmacar Posted - Jan 21 2015 : 04:50:20 AM
It is getting weirder...
This morning, my VA was only "half-working" again.
My colleague's VA was not working at all (no menu entry, no toolbar).

In both our Visual Studios, VA was disabled (could be enabled again under "Tools->Extension and Updates"). After that, VA was working again...
Menelmacar Posted - Jan 20 2015 : 01:27:45 AM
Hello, feline.

Yes, my VA is fully working again. Alt-Shift-O lists all code files (I am writing in C++, so my code files have the extensions .cpp and .h). As far as I remember, Alt-shift-O showed all files also on the day it was only half-working.

One strange thing happened today, though:
Immediately after starting up Visual Studio with a solution, the VA toolbar looked like yesterday, with only three icons active. After completely loading everything, also the remaining icons became activated.
For a test, I closed Visual Studio, and started it again (in the very same way, with a solution). Result: the VA toolbar appeared with all icons activated right from the start...
feline Posted - Jan 19 2015 : 7:45:20 PM
After having to activate VA again, is VA now working properly, or do you still only have the 3 active toolbar buttons?

If VA is only slightly active, which file extensions / languages are you working in? If you load your solution and then open the VA Open File in Solution dialog, Alt-Shift-O is VA listing any code files?
Menelmacar Posted - Jan 19 2015 : 01:51:37 AM
Hello.

I am having the same Problem. My Visual Assist is only half working. The GoTo-Button is missing, and in the toolbar only three symbols are active, as user "pates" also describes.
This happened from one day to the next.
I am using Visual Studio Ultimate 2012, on Windows 8.1 64bit.
Visual Assist is Version 2052.
My VA toolbar Looks like this:

Is there any solution to this?
I will gladly post more info if it helps to solve the problem.

New development:
now the following happened:
after updating the "NuGet package Manager" and the "Visual Studio Tools for Git" in the Visual Studio this morning, Visual Assist was completely deactivated. After activating it in "Tools -> Extensions and Updates", it works again...
feline Posted - Nov 05 2014 : 2:33:35 PM
Which file extensions are you working in?

If you open VA's Open File dialog, Alt-Shift-O if the keyboard shortcut works, are any files being listed? If so, how many? The title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

I am wondering if this could be a file extension / language problem. It is almost as if VA thinks you are working in a language, or with a file extension we don't support.
pates Posted - Nov 05 2014 : 12:55:23 PM
Uninstalling (and restarting VS) and reinstalling (and restarting VS) had no effect. I am also not seeing tips on startup even though the "Show tip of the day" option is checked.
pates Posted - Nov 05 2014 : 08:23:30 AM
Yes the VA toolbar is showing, but the only icons enabled are VA Options, Open File in Solution (whose keyboard shortcut works), and Find Symbol (whose shortcut also works). The rest are disabled.

Yes in Keyboard Options VAssistX.GoToImplementation is listed with Alt+G as the shortcut (same as I've always used). But it doesn't work. F12 (the default VS shortcut) does.
feline Posted - Nov 04 2014 : 5:11:55 PM
Are you able to load the VA options dialog?

Is the VA toolbar showing?

If you trigger a command via the VA toolbar or menu, is this working correctly?

I am wondering if this is just a problem with your keyboard shortcuts, or if VA has entirely stopped working.

If you go into:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard

and filter the commands on:

VAssistX.Goto

are any commands listed, and do they have keyboard shortcuts listed?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000