Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Find lvalue / rvalue references

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mordachai Posted - Feb 05 2014 : 12:49:15 PM
I would love to be able to find lvalue references to a given variable / member.

Finding all references to m_index is useful - but very often I need to know "who writes to it?"

I'm not interested in who reads from it, since those can't be responsible for changing it's state. But a list of initialers / writers would be great.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - May 23 2014 : 3:05:34 PM
A new case was opened for filtering of Find References results: case=78686.
case=78686 is implemented in build 2036.
See the context menu for filtering commands and keyboard shortcuts.
feline Posted - Feb 11 2014 : 1:22:09 PM
Mordachai, the colouring in the Find References Results window, and the editor, if you have enabled this, is designed to help you quickly and easily spot the references that are being updated. This does help, but its true its not the same as filtering the results list to only show the updated references.

DusanDusan, without code examples, sometimes its down to how you read the English, and how you think of these filters as working. Sometimes you need to see the feature working to really get a sense of what it is doing
Dusan Posted - Feb 10 2014 : 03:40:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
DusanDusan, which of those filters would you expect to pick out only modified references? I read "Assigned by" as nearly the opposite, where the reference is on the right hand side, rather than the left hand side of the equals.

Oh, now I follow you... Ofcourse, there should be also this one. I thought that 'Used By' will be enough, but this could make sense.
Mordachai Posted - Feb 07 2014 : 10:05:50 AM
I'll try this out. I do like the syntax colorizing in the find results window - and the rose/blue looks pretty useful there.
feline Posted - Feb 06 2014 : 2:24:18 PM
Mordachai, try turning on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Refactoring -> Highlight references using <colour> and <colour>

and:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Views

both of which will enable highlighting of Find References Results. Turning on Views highlights in the Find References Results window, and "Highlight references using" in the editor.

This should help. When using "Highlight references using" colours, the first colour is for modified references, and the second colour is for references that are not modified.

DusanDusan, which of those filters would you expect to pick out only modified references? I read "Assigned by" as nearly the opposite, where the reference is on the right hand side, rather than the left hand side of the equals.
Mordachai Posted - Feb 06 2014 : 11:10:35 AM
@feline - "coloring of results turned on" - which option is that?

The only "Apply coloring to" I have checked is "Text Editors"

Nothing is labeled "search results"
Dusan Posted - Feb 06 2014 : 08:54:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
I am surprised that it does not seem to have come up before.
I have added this as a sensible possible filter to the case:

case=78686

I think that case=78686 fully includes those:

Exposed By - All instances, where symbol is exposed (i.e. used as argument of exposed method, used as property value, etc.)
Instantiated By - All intances of symbol, where it is created new instance of it.
Assigned By - All instances, where instance of symbol is assigned
Used By - All other instances, where symbol is used (and does not fall into previous groups).
feline Posted - Feb 05 2014 : 11:03:35 PM
This is a very interesting idea, and I am surprised that it does not seem to have come up before. We are considering adding an ability to filter the Find References Results list, and I have added this as a sensible possible filter to the case:

case=78686

Are you aware that the references where m_index is updated are shown in a different colour, assuming you have colouring of results turned on? This is to help you pick them out from the list. Not the same as just showing these references, but it should help.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000