Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Include tree

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BruteForce Posted - Aug 01 2008 : 08:27:21 AM
Something that I would find immensly useful (and I think others too) would be a utility that would show me the include-tree of a given C++ file (H or CPP).

What do I mean by "include-tree"?

Supposing that I have a CPP file with the following includes:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include "UB1394DLLHelper.h"
#include "FireiXCamera.h"
#include "FireiFixedStreamFormat.h"

I would like to see something like:

stdafx.h
--> windows.h
-----> xyz.h
--------> blabla.h
-----> gsd.h
-----> etc etc
UB1394DLLHelper.h
--> FireAPI.h
-----> 1394Types.h
--------> 1394enums.h
-----> 1394Speed.h
-----> etc etc
FireiXCamera.h
--> etc etc

I hope you can get my point. The problem that I face all too often is improper inclusion of headers, or including headers out of order, and then I get some obsure compile error message for example that AV_TYPES is not defined my xyz.h, while I know I include <streams.h> "somewhere" and then I am trying to figure out where is the mistake and what file ended up including xyz.h before <streams.h> was included.

I am sure I am not the only one with this kind of issue, especially when starting up a new project.

Guys, I beg you... Please implement this feature! We have more important things to do other than battling with header file inclusions.

Warm Regards
Dimitris Staikos
Unibrain
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 18 2013 : 3:33:47 PM
case=7156 is implemented in build 2007.
Include file hierarchy viewer is a mode of the HCB in the VA View.

It can be invoked 3 ways:
- VAssistX | Tools | List include files: opens VA View and places focus in HCB
- when HCB update on position change is enabled, placing caret on a #include line updates HCB w/ includes
- when caret is within top 15 lines of editor that otherwise would leave HCB empty, then includes are listed in HCB (can be disabled via HCB context menu)
borgman Posted - Aug 04 2008 : 10:56:54 AM
I've used this tool for awhile.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/includefinder.aspx?display=Print
sl@sh Posted - Aug 04 2008 : 10:00:23 AM
I'd looked for help on similar problems and stumbled upon this tool : http://www.profactor.co.uk/includemanager.php

I haven't come around to actually try it out yet (somehow time-limited trial versions always stand in conflict with project deadlines), but if you do, please share your experience

Of course, this tool might provide a lot more functionality than you'll ever need - that's why you're allowed to pay for it!
feline Posted - Aug 01 2008 : 09:41:45 AM
We are considering doing something like this:

case=7156

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000