Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 MsgBox after "Change Signature"

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
peterchen Posted - Aug 03 2006 : 12:00:33 PM
After changing the signature of a method, there's (under the given conditions) the following messagebox:

---------------------------
Warning
Change in return type and/or parameter type detected in new signature. You should now update references to accommodate the new signature.
OK

I think it's not necessary, it stops the flow, you show the list of references in the Output window (good!) which acts as a reminder, and ususally I know what I just did.

But that might be just a personal preference. What do others think?

(Did I mention already that I LOVE the refactoring, especially since I'm still stuck with VC6 most of the time?! Well, I LOVE ...)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 18 2013 : 3:15:58 PM
Change Signature was overhauled in build 2007.
case=1158 is fixed in build 2007.
support Posted - Aug 12 2006 : 11:23:23 PM
Case 1529 is fixed in build 1532.
feline Posted - Aug 09 2006 : 8:49:27 PM
that is a "close enough for a post" variable name. the current program i am writing has about 25 maps as member variables

its not really hungarian notation, instead i have a class called drugName which is sometimes used for "them" drugs and sometimes used for "us" drugs.

it quickly gets very confusing, so i am using long, vaguely hungarian names, so i can see what i am doing when i start throwing these things around.

the program is designed around the databases, but the databases are "from them", and are, as far as i can tell, hovering on the edge of melt down, which is doing unpleasent things to my code

as for hungarian, it has its place if used carefully it is that or move the mouse to hover over the variable name, and that is just a silly idea.
peterchen Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 7:29:36 PM
I agree - fixing distant code with guesses that (try to) silence the compiler is a very bad idea.

>> drugMappingThemUs
:omg: hungarian notation or russian friend?
feline Posted - Aug 08 2006 : 6:08:57 PM
if / when i get some spare time i may download the latest trial of Ref++ and have a look. i recall looking at it a while ago and finding more problems than benefits *sigh*

as for default parameters, what happens when the new parameter is a reference?

i *like* the idea of the tools doing as much of the basic work as possible for me, but there are cases where any form of guessing on the tools part is likely to be worse than leaving the code alone, and invalid. of course a *REALLY* clever tool may be able to work out what i am planning, but i am not sure that ref++ or VA is quite there yet
accord Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 5:16:41 PM
Hmmm...

I have tried Ref++, but I am not using it now. I don't remember how Ref++ solved the cases that you said...
feline Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 3:40:19 PM
*um* if i add 3 parameters you want VA to insert "0" for all of them? what if the first parameter is a "std::string", the second parameter is an int and the third parameter is of type:

QValueList<QString, QPair<QString, drugMappingThemUs> >

and yes, i do have functions taking parameter lists like that. rather a lot of functions like that, so making these sort of modifications via VA's refactoring is something i am moving into. it requires a change to how i work, so i am moving into it slowly

what on earth does ref++ do in cases like this? in a lot of my code there will be no sensible default parameter that a tool could insert. or does it ask you what to do for each and every function call? or are you talking about something totally different?
accord Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 2:56:54 PM
What about to change the references automatically?

If Ref++ can do it, I think it can be done
feline Posted - Aug 06 2006 : 1:58:19 PM
but if we remove it, then how do we stop you entering code faster than we can parse it?

adding an option to stop the warning is under consideration

case=1158
peterchen Posted - Aug 04 2006 : 03:50:13 AM
ehem - what about removing it alltogether?
feline Posted - Aug 03 2006 : 7:20:58 PM
it looks like the wording of the warning has been changed, and hopefully improved, in the next build.

case=1529
khb Posted - Aug 03 2006 : 3:31:49 PM
Also agree. When the message appears I always think "What did I wrong" at first.

Regards,
Marcus.
accord Posted - Aug 03 2006 : 12:33:02 PM
I agree. Very confusing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000