Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Refactor: Problem in "Change Signature"

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mbobka Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 04:00:12 AM

class ABC {
public:
	void FunctionA( int aaa );
};

void ABC::FunctionA( int aaa ) {
	int ccc = 10;
	aaa = ccc;

}

If I try to change signature of FunctionA, to "void FunctionA( char bbb, int aaa )", then:

class ABC {
public:
	void FunctionA( char bbb, int aaa );
};

void ABC::FunctionA(  char bbb, int bbb  ) 
{
	int ccc = 10;
	bbb = ccc;

}

As you see all "aaa" will be changed to "bbb" in the implementation, but the signature in the class declaration is valid.
Ctrl-Z (Undo) returns all bbb to aaa, and makes code valid.

Also, you can see mysterious second space inserted before "char bbb" in implementation.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 18 2013 : 3:15:08 PM
Change Signature was overhauled in build 2007.
case=1528 is fixed in build 2007
TheRawGod Posted - Aug 18 2006 : 09:30:16 AM
Ah, sorry for stupid question:(

Just tried and that worked fine.
Thanks.
rhummer Posted - Aug 18 2006 : 09:23:50 AM
TheRawGod: You can customize the formating of Create Implementation in the autotext entry called "Refactor Create Implementation"
TheRawGod Posted - Aug 18 2006 : 09:14:26 AM
And what about those spaces inserted after opening and before closing braces when changing signature / creating implementation?

class A
{
  int MemberA(int b);
};

after creating implementation it would look like:

int A::MemberA( int b )
{

}

Are those spaces a desired behaviour? Maybe it's worth allowing user to specify somehow on settings pages whether to insert them and how many?:)

Mentioned refactoring features are really handy but the fact that I have to remove those spaces is very annoying as usually deleting spaces requires about the same time I would spend doing copy/pasting in case of creating implementation that makes the latter refactoring functionality almost useless:(

WinXP SP2, MSVS2005, VAX 1532.
support Posted - Aug 12 2006 : 11:23:15 PM
Case 1529 is fixed in build 1532.
support Posted - Jul 05 2006 : 2:18:31 PM
Fix for case 1513 is in build 1528.

Change Signature does not mangle existing parameters when inserting new ones.
support Posted - Jun 30 2006 : 6:00:15 PM
Suggestion to eliminate warning when adding a parameter with a default value in C# and C++ is...

case=1528

Problem of misleading warning is...

case=1529
khb Posted - Jun 30 2006 : 08:51:33 AM
I also have some thoughts regarding Change Signature. After adding a function parameter on the rightmost side of the signature, a message box appears that claims: "Removal and/or reordering of parameters detected...". Well, I just added a parameter, so the message is a bit misleading. Moreover, when adding a parameter with a default value on the rightmost side of the signature, no message box needs to be displayed as everything should work like before.

Regards,
Marcus.
support Posted - Jun 29 2006 : 11:54:24 AM
VA X thinks you are renaming aaa to bbb and changing its type, then adding a new parameter called aaa. VA X should be smart enough to realize you are only inserting a parameter.

VA X appears to work correctly if you inserts parameters *after* existing parameters.

We'll make VA X smarter so it detects an insert prior to an existing parameter, or we'll prevent the complex refactoring and force you to do it in multiple steps.

case=1513

Workaround is to refactor in two steps:
1) Change signature and insert all new parameters *after* existing parameters.
2) Change signature to reorder parameters.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000