Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 auto keyword support is severely broken

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smogensen Posted - Oct 31 2013 : 07:06:37 AM
Even though it seems the c++11 auto keyword has been supported by VAX for a few years now I can still not get it to work even in very simple use cases.

#include <vector>

template<class T>
T* make()
{
	return new T();
}

std::vector<int>* foo()
{
	return new std::vector<int>();
}

void bar()
{
	auto p1 = foo();
	auto p2 = make<std::vector<int>>();
	std::vector<int>* p3 = foo();

p1. //VAX will not convert . into -> but will display members of std::vector
	p2. //VAX will convert . into -> but won't display any members
	p3. //This work as expected, but is not using auto
	make<std::vector<int>>(). //not related to auto: VAX will not convert . into -> but will display members of std::vector
}
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 07 2014 : 09:53:30 AM
case=78153 is fixed in build 2052
sean Posted - Dec 21 2013 : 01:31:29 AM
case=78150 is fixed in build 2023.
feline Posted - Nov 22 2013 : 7:37:04 PM
You might want to try deleting your IDE intellisense database file. I have seen IDE crashes caused by a corrupt database file now and then, so its possible this is a factor.

For VS2008 and earlier, look for the large .NCB file in the root directory of your solution. For VS2010 and later, look for the large .SDF file. Make sure the IDE is closed and delete / move the file. The IDE will recreate the file next time your solution is loaded. This may take a little while, depending on how large the solution is. It may not help, but worth suggesting in case it helps.
smogensen Posted - Nov 11 2013 : 03:26:31 AM
Enabling intellisense does help, but we can't currently enable when working on our main codebase due to frequent crashes.
feline Posted - Oct 31 2013 : 6:35:06 PM
Thank you for the very clear description of the problem.

I think there are two separate issues here, so I have put in two bug reports for this. Firstly, the variable "p1", if you place the caret into "p1" the VA definition field shows the type that VA has worked out for this auto variable. The * is missing, so VA is not realising this is a pointer, which explains the problem you are seeing:

case=78150

The make template is causing problems even without using the auto keyword, so it looks like its a separate problem:

case=78153

For the listboxes, can you please trying On:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

this should help, it helps for me in VS2012.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000