Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 C++: Autoindentation of multiline func definitions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dave_lf Posted - Sep 26 2013 : 12:31:47 PM
Suppose I have a function defined like so:

void SomeReallyReallyLongQualifiedFunctionName( int p1, int p2,
   int p3 )
{
}

Now I decide I want to add a NameSpace::MyClass object as a fourth parameter. As soon as I type the second :, VA adds a bunch of tabs to indent the second line as shown (I had to type spaces here instead of tabs to get it to show up):

void SomeReallyReallyLongQualifiedFunctionName( int p1, int p2,
                                               int p3, NameSpace:: )
{
}

I'm reasonably sure it's VA doing this because the behavior goes away if I disable it.

Is this a bug or a feature? If it's a feature, is there any way to disable it (I don't see anything relevant looking in the settings)?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 18 2013 : 3:05:06 PM
case=77157 is fixed in build 2007
dave_lf Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 12:03:26 PM
Great, thanks. And you're correct, I don't have "Get content from default Intellisense" checked.
sean Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 12:00:41 PM
Sorry for the trouble. Will be fixed in the next release. case=77157
sean Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 11:12:10 AM
Ok - I was able to repro. The format does not occur if "Get content from default Intellisense" is checked in the VA Options dialog on the Advanced | Listboxes page. Investigating...
sean Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 11:07:20 AM
And what settings do you have in the VS Options dialog at:
Text Editor | C/C++ | Tabs
sean Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 11:05:17 AM
When you type "NameSpace::" are you typing all of that or are you using any listbox completions?
dave_lf Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 11:01:46 AM
VASSISTX > Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

Also, for what it's worth, if I select code formatted as in example one a choose EDIT > Advanced > Format Selection, Visual Studio applies this same "correction". So it seems that the VS autoformat action is being triggered for some reason when I type ::.
sean Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 10:58:47 AM
What method are you using to disable Visual Assist?
dave_lf Posted - Sep 27 2013 : 10:50:50 AM
No, I didn't have that checked. I actually went through and disabled all my other extensions and addons and unchecked every single VA setting, and I still get this behavior if and only if VA is enabled. Maybe it is a built-in Visual Studio feature that VA disables or overrides when it is loaded?

I've been looking for the VS C++ text formatting options, but it seems most of them were removed from the GUI in 2012...
sean Posted - Sep 26 2013 : 7:25:03 PM
I don't think this is a feature of VA. It looks like a feature of Visual Studio however I'm not able to repro with that example. The Visual Studio feature is most often seen at work in switches when typing a case statement.

Do you have 'Format after paste' enabled (VA Options | Advanced | Corrections)? If so, try disabling that to see if it makes a difference.
dave_lf Posted - Sep 26 2013 : 12:42:20 PM
I should add:
VA 10.7.1940.0 built 2013.05.30
VS2012 Professional with update 3 (11.0.60610.01)

Edit to add: I updated to 10.8.2001.0 today and the behavior is still there. And another detail I just figured out: this only happens if the start of the function definition is all the way at the left margin.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000