Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Capital-Case search in Open File dialog

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FelixR Posted - Apr 29 2013 : 1:20:58 PM
Hi,

how about adding capital-case search for the Open File-dialog?
The idea is, that for example typing "MC" will show you files like "MyClass.cpp" or "MyClass2.cpp". This is a feature in Eclipse's Open Type dialog, which I use a lot.

Best Regards,
Felix
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 03 2013 : 1:58:34 PM
case=74214 is fixed in build 1940

Use the context menu of the results list to control case sensitivity.
sean Posted - May 16 2013 : 12:40:50 PM
sorry - the next build will have an option in the context menu to work the previous way. case=74214
BrianEhlert Posted - May 16 2013 : 11:22:07 AM
Can new features like this which radically change the default behavior please be made optional? While I can see how some people may find it useful, it has made the search window basically unusable for me, and now I need to revert back to a previous version of the product so I can work.

The problem is some of us naturally type capital letters when we search, and you changed the behavior from "match everything" to "make sure you don't make a mistake or your search results can't be trusted". Take for example you want to find a symbol which contains a SDK version. Some people may type "SDK", which previously would've matched everything. Now after an update, it's case-sensitive and only matches a handful of symbols, which makes me think the symbol doesn't exist because it's named "Sdk".

Trying to break habits of typing upper-case letters won't be easy. I'd rather have an option to turn off this feature.
FelixR Posted - May 16 2013 : 11:07:58 AM
Thanks! Good to know, so adding the spaces makes it work exactly like I wanted it to. Thanks alot!
feline Posted - May 15 2013 : 9:36:03 PM
Try typing the filter "D M C", this will only list the file names that contain upper case D, upper case M and upper case C. True, this will look for these letters in any order, but it should still be quite close to what you are looking for here.
FelixR Posted - May 15 2013 : 2:38:57 PM
Hey,

I think this is a little bit something different from what I meant.
The current way the search works is -if I'm not mistaken- that it searches case-insensitive until an uppercase letter appears, in which case the search becomes case-sensitive.

The idea I meant was, that, for example typing "DMC" as a search, will show all files with CamelCase names which contain words starting with the specified uppercase letters.
That means "DMC" would show files like "DogMarmeladeCarrot.cpp" or "DebugMemoCreator.h".

This makes it easier to quickly find files with longer names, you only have to type three letters to find the file you are looking for(or type, in the Open Type dialog).

Googling "Camel Case Search", this was one of the first that showed up and is shows what I meant: http://www.telerik.com/help/justcode/code-navigation-and-search-camel-case-search.html

Best Regards,
Felix
feline Posted - Apr 29 2013 : 5:12:45 PM
This has been added in VA 1936, our latest version. From the change log:

New! Find Symbol in Solution and Open File in Solution searches are case-sensitive if the search string contains at least one uppercase letter. (case=28758)

you can download VA from here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000