Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Open File in Solution missing files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jonnygarrett Posted - Apr 04 2013 : 2:46:48 PM
hi

a number of programmers in our studio are experiencing cases where the Open File In Solution dialog only shows a subset of the files in the solution

we've tried the Rebuild (symbol databases) and Clear (history, cache and temporary files) options without luck

we're running v10.7.1929.0 for vs2012 in windows 8

thanks for any help

Jonathan
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Jun 19 2013 : 12:38:02 PM
Sorry to hear that. We've gotten reports from others that the problem is fixed.

Does changing the value of CacheProjectInfo (at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet11) to 00 prevent it from happening (exit all instances of VS before modifying registry)?
SteveLalancette Posted - Jun 19 2013 : 11:44:19 AM
It wasn't. Some people at our office who didn't have the bug before started getting it when they upgraded to 1940.
sean Posted - Jun 18 2013 : 1:16:15 PM
We believe this was finally addressed in build 1940.
sean Posted - May 21 2013 : 3:12:53 PM
We are working on a fix for this.

In the meantime, a workaround for the problem when it occurs is:
- File | Close Solution
- del *.va from Data\\vs11_?\\ProjectInfo directory of the VA install directory ( http://docs.wholetomato.com?W282 )
- reload solution
SteveLalancette Posted - May 21 2013 : 3:07:17 PM
To anyone getting this bug, the only ways I've found so far to prevent it are to either
(1) use Visual Studio 2010 or
(2) use Visual Assist 1916 or earlier.

Visual Assist 1929 and Visual Assist 1936 both get this bug intermittently when using Visual Studio 2012.
sean Posted - May 17 2013 : 10:10:26 PM
Mindcrime, please contact us at http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp to open a support case.
Mindcrime Posted - May 17 2013 : 9:59:30 PM
This is now happening to me as well. I tried to rebuild the symbol DB but that resulted in only 8 (yes 8) files showing up in the OFIS list where we normally have 5000. Any help here would be appreciated.

VA_X.dll file version 10.7.1936.0 built 2013.04.22
DevEnv.exe version 11.0.60315.1 Ultimate
msenv.dll version 11.0.60315.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.17514
Windows Server 2008 R2 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
8 processors (x86-64;
WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\winrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\shared;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\um;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\crt\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\include\\winrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\include\\shared;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Durango XDK\\xdk\\include\\um;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Include\\winrt;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Include\\shared;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\8.0\\Include\\um;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\include;
F:\\DurangoXDKSamples\\UserGamepadPairing_03_2013\\Common\\SampleFramework;
F:\\DurangoXDKSamples\\UserGamepadPairing_03_2013\\Common\\DirectXTex;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;

support Posted - Apr 25 2013 : 2:29:43 PM
case=73814 is the development case associated with support case=73709, is fixed in build 1936
sean Posted - Apr 24 2013 : 11:22:19 AM
No problem -tz-. The VA db is rebuilt whenever the version number changes. Further, for VS2010 and VS2012, the db is stored in the install dir; when you do an update, the install dir including the db is removed.

We've got Chris and -tz- in the support system and are continuing there. I tried contacting jonnygarrett but the mail bounced. Mail was also sent to Steve. Anyone else that experiences this problem should contact us directly at http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
-tz- Posted - Apr 24 2013 : 06:33:24 AM
Sean:

DB location / updating:
OK, got it - that part was some misunderstanding (or wrong guess) of mine then... Sorry.

Thanks, tz
sean Posted - Apr 23 2013 : 11:13:16 AM
The VA symbol db is not saved in the solution directory. Installing a different version of VA causes the db to be rebuilt.
-tz- Posted - Apr 23 2013 : 05:46:04 AM
1) That might very well be the case. Nevertheless, since we HAVE to work with VS2012, we don't really care about some other combinations..

2) That's actually the case. The symbols database is actually saved along with your solution and not automatically removed and/or completely rebuilt if you update VA, afaik.
If you delete and actively rebuild it after the update, you might probably 'corrupt' it immediately, I guess...
SteveLalancette Posted - Apr 23 2013 : 05:39:14 AM
Two clarifications:

1. The problem is indeed with version 1929, but that doesn't mean it has nothing to do with VS 2012. VS 2010 works fine with VA 1929 and VS 2012 works fine with VA 1916 or earlier. The combination of VS 2012 and VA 1929 is problematic.

2. Downgrading VA and re-upgrading fixed the issue only temporarily, but it did make it work with VA 1929 for a while, not just VA 1916. Why that would be, I don't know (perhaps the symbol database is saved somewhere even after uninstalling and it takes a while for it to get corrupted again). Maybe knowing that this occurs would be a good clue for the programmer trying to fix this issue.
-tz- Posted - Apr 23 2013 : 03:43:45 AM
Hi all

Concluding:

- We tried ourselves all of the first-guess tricks immediately, of course: Rebuild the Symbol database (followed by restart of the IDE and reloading the solution as apparently necessary), clearing History, cache temp files, not keeping symbols in memory, etc. - none of these measures help (as also other posted consistently).

- Downgrading and re-upgrading 'only fixes temporarily' (as also others posted consistently), since the problem clearly only occurs in 'Version 10.7.1929.0 built 2013.02.22', but not before. If you downgrade - of course it 'fixes' the problem - if you re-upgrade, of course it's back..!

- Further: NO, the projects of the affected files are NOT unloaded in VS2012.

- Some doubt/hint: It looks as if all files of those projects which are currently NOT EXPANDED in the VS 'Solution Explorer' are missing (why the heck THIS shall play a role, I don't understand - but anyway - it's an observation and some vague guess..):
Once you expand a project folder in the 'Solution explorer' and load at least one file out of it, also the other files of the project appear finally. However, just expanding all folders alone apparently doesn't help. Anyway - I really don't feel like expanding all and then going thru all projects to pick one file to open and close it again (since we have pretty many of them - see below)..!

- Last but not least (but probably most important):
Whatever doubt might discredit VS2012, some particular type of solution/project combination, file-types, or way of working - it all plays NO role at all, since before switching to 'Version 10.7.1929.0 built 2013.02.22' EVERYTHING worked fine with exactly the same solutions, projects, file-types, way of working etc..; then after upgrading it was all gone from one day to another while NOT changing all of the rest..!

Answers to feline:

- We have to deal with solutions containing 360+ projects..!

- The files we're missing and actually looking for, are basically .h, .c, .hpp, .cpp, .hxx,... and some more (of which are not important at all anyway)...
However - ALL of the are missing, not just some particular type!

- Other questions answered by the comments above.

Thanks for any help - a fix would be fantastic (or even just a reasonable workaround would do)...

BR, tz

feline Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 7:09:23 PM
Apologies for that. I am not seeing that in this thread, but this is also being discussed with Chris via email. It looks like we might have a fix internally, I will let you know as soon as we have something you can try and see if it helps.
SteveLalancette Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 5:32:06 PM
I've already answered that as well. It lists all the files around that one and I'm not sure but I believe it's folder based and not project based.
feline Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 5:24:52 PM
Ah, I overlooked that fact, sorry about that. Do you know where the problem .vcxproj files came from? Were these created and modified by VS2012 or by some other tool?

Can you try opening just one of the problem .vcxproj files on its own, without loading the full solution, and see what files, if any, VA lists in the OFIS dialog?
SteveLalancette Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 4:43:55 PM
As I said in a previous post, rebuilding the symbol database never worked for me. It would either keep the number of files stable or actually decrease it! It never found new files for me.
feline Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 3:06:56 PM
Steve, can you please try pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

then restart your IDE and reload your solution. VA will take a few minutes to rebuild its symbol database, hopefully not to many. Since changing the VA version had a temporary effect this might have an effect on this problem.

Do you know if the problem projects were created or modified outside of Visual Studio?

Can you please close your solution and just load one of the problem projects, the .vcxproj file, and see if VA is showing any of the files in the Open File dialog now?

tz, are you working in a solution with more than one project? Or do you just have one project in your solution? Which file types, file extensions are missing? Does this problem appear to be project specific? Are you seeing some files in a given project listed, but other files not listed? Or is VA listing all or none of the files in each of the projects?

Does rebuilding your VA symbol database make any difference? Its a long shot, but it should be a quick and easy test.
SteveLalancette Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 12:35:57 PM
Alt-Shift-O is back to finding only 90+ files in the solution out of over 6,000. Reverting to an earlier version of Visual Assist and then back to the latest version seems to have only fixed it temporarily, unfortunately.
-tz- Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 06:16:50 AM
PS: ...and VS2012 is actually not the issue; before updating to Visual Assist 'Version 10.7.1929.0 built 2013.02.22', everything was fine even with VS2012..!

BR, tz
-tz- Posted - Apr 22 2013 : 05:58:40 AM
Hi all

We're having exactly the same problems (an it's pretty annoying when working with huge VS solutions, containing many thousand of files..).

The problems started exactly at the moment, when we updated Visual Assist to 'Version 10.7.1929.0 built 2013.02.22' (VS2012) - before everything was fine for several years with the very convenient and ~ most used 'Open File in Solution..' functionality...!

Probably downgrading would immediately fix the issue (but is not yet an option).

Therefore: A quick analysis & fix would be most appreciated.. ;-) ..!

Thanks a lot & BR, tz
sean Posted - Apr 18 2013 : 7:47:48 PM
"it seems to add all the files from that folder and/or project (not sure which, but it looks like it's folder-based)" - that describes a VA feature - see the Projects | File Handling page of the VA Options dialog. By default only enabled when files are loaded if the solution is empty.

VS2012 introduced a delayed project loading mechanism. Does the problem occur after all projects are fully loaded?

View Solution Explorer to see if the projects are loaded (icon state may be different or faded, 'unloaded' or 'loading' may appear next to project name, etc).
feline Posted - Apr 18 2013 : 7:09:18 PM
I have the log files, thank you for these, hopefully they will offer some clues:

case=73709

Are you aware of any changes that happened when this apparently stopped and then started happening again? Its a long shot, but worth asking just in case.

It is interesting that changing VA version fixed this. Since you returned to VA 1929 and the problem was still fixed, this means it is not a version specific problem. Changing the version of VA will cause VA to rebuild its symbol database. I don't see how this could be a factor, but its easy to test.

If anyone else is currently seeing this problem can you please ask them to try pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart their IDE. Does this make any difference to the problem?
SteveLalancette Posted - Apr 18 2013 : 4:26:13 PM
Note that this problem didn't occur if I opened the solution with Visual Studio 2010, only with 2012.

I uninstalled Visual Assist and installed an older version (1916) and this fixed the problem. I then uninstalled that and re-installed version 1929 and the problem didn't come back (at least for now).
SteveLalancette Posted - Apr 18 2013 : 3:45:09 PM
I have the exact same problem. It started on the same day as for other posters above, stopped happening for me too and started again today for me too. I'm the only one at the office getting this.

I only see about 60 to 450 files out of thousands in my solution. Rebuilding the symbol database either does nothing or brings down the total even lower. If I manually find and open one of the many files that are missing, it seems to add all the files from that folder and/or project (not sure which, but it looks like it's folder-based).

I only have the 4 base extensions listed above. I can't send you a .vcxproj, sorry.
chris Posted - Apr 17 2013 : 5:52:58 PM
The issue had apparently stopped. I was asking around to see if I could get logs from someone else but it appeared that everything was working properly. But now it looks like it's starting again.

Extensions I have in vs2012

Microsoft WebDeveloper Tools
NuGetPAckageManager
P4VS - Perfroce Plugin for Visual Studio
Visual Assis X
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript

I just sent the va.log along.
feline Posted - Apr 06 2013 : 7:12:25 PM
Another thing to try is VA log files, hopefully they will offer some clues about why some files are not being listed. Can you please try loading the IDE, but make sure no solution is loaded.

Then enable VA logging:

VA Options -> Performance -> Enable logging

Load your solution, and then wait for VA to finish parsing and for your CPU to report idle.
Open VA's Open File dialog
Close the Open File dialog

Close the IDE, this stops the log files from growing any further, and then please send us the log files.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
feline Posted - Apr 05 2013 : 8:47:18 PM
Do you use any other IDE extensions? If you look at:

IDE Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

what extensions are listed on you system? On a full install of VS2012 with VA I have the following extensions listed:

Microsoft Web Developer Tools
NuGet Package Manager
Visual Assist X
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScript

Something has to be triggering these problems, but what? That's the question. Hopefully the .vcxproj file will offer some clues.
chris Posted - Apr 05 2013 : 6:43:58 PM
"Is this a machine specific problem? Or is it effecting all of the developers who have these projects checked out?"

It's definitely not machine specific. Jonny and I are seeing it and we're in the same perforce branch so I was wondering if it might be related to that somehow. But today someone else told me that they are seeing it and they aren't in the same branch. I will see if i can get a vcxproj.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000