Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 include protection level in hover information

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrJones4u Posted - Nov 22 2012 : 03:42:35 AM
Hello,

It would be, as far as I can say, really cool, if the protection level of class members and functions would also be shown when hovering over a member or function (and in the definition field).

Currently:

Suggestion:

cu,
and keep the great work up!
Michael
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 14 2012 : 11:26:41 AM
VA Outline is designed to give you an outline, an overview of the current file. This is very useful when getting a sense of the file, and can also be used to quickly and easily reorder the functions in the current file:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaoutline.asp

If you are looking for an overview of a specific class then you will probably find the Hovering Class Browser in VA View more useful:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/hcb.asp
MrJones4u Posted - Dec 11 2012 : 07:41:28 AM
Oh... and now I just noticed one origin of my confusion when answering your Initial reply: the protection level is only visible in the VA outline, when the file you are editing is the header file (we are talking C++ here). Not only that, only those members which are visible in the file you are editing are displayed in the VA outline, which, in my opinion, renders the VA outline even more useless (feel sorry to say that).
feline Posted - Nov 28 2012 : 7:27:34 PM
This makes sense, I have put in a feature request for this to see what our developers make of it:

case=70906
MrJones4u Posted - Nov 28 2012 : 02:42:11 AM
The VA Definition field does show the correct protection level when the function / member is clicked. In our case we are refactoring legacy code and the information in the hover popup (and I would prefere the word e.g. "private" not the icon - but that just me) would speed things up.
feline Posted - Nov 27 2012 : 6:44:32 PM
For the current protection level, are you seeing the correct / expected icon in the VA Definition field?

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaNavigationBar.asp

You should see a purple cube for public functions, the purple cube with a yellow key for protected functions, and the purple cube with a silver padlock for private functions.

We are considering adding a refactoring command to move a function from one protection level to another, and you make a good case for why this is helpful in addition to VA Outline:

case=1094
MrJones4u Posted - Nov 26 2012 : 07:17:41 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the reply,
I gave you suggestion a look into. For me the biggest hurdle is that I donG??t really us the VA Outline as it generally does not show me what I need to see and use most G?? the class hierarchy. But that is of course my personal issue. But when it comes to protection level the VA Outline is no big help either. If there more function or members than real-a-state you canG??t see the protection level as it is only shown at the top of the group and therefore out of sight a lot of times. And as a tool to refactor the protection level it fails in usability on classes with many members as you have to drag and scroll and canG??t see if you are heading the right direction to the desired protection level. Now, if there were refactoring menu items i.e. G?send to privateG?, G?send to publicG? etc. G?? that would be useful.
Regards,
Michael
feline Posted - Nov 23 2012 : 3:59:29 PM
If you place the caret into the function name, and look at the VA Context and Definition fields, normally at the top of the editor, the icon shown at the start of the Definition field, the right hand field, will show you if this function is public, protected or private, using the IDE standard icons.

Not quite the same as the tooltip, but hopefully helpful enough

For moving a function from one level to another, are you aware you can use VA Outline to quickly and easily reorder the items in a class, including moving a function from one access block to another?

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaoutline.asp
MrJones4u Posted - Nov 22 2012 : 06:12:37 AM
and...
possibly the feature to move a member or function from one protection level to another.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000