Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Find References

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AjayV Posted - Apr 06 2012 : 01:55:07 AM
In short:
What I need is Find Symbol, followed by Find References

In detail:
I would be working on some source file, but willing to know where GetFieldText might have been used. This symbol is not anywhere near the current code I am working (Or I am lazy to locate it, select it and hit Find References). In this case, I must hit Alt+Shift+S to launch 'Find Symbol' dialog box, type this symbol (GetFieldText) and Enter. It will take me to the symbol. Now, I can do FR on the symbol.

Either way, it is two phase operation:
- Select the correct symbol and then hit FR.
- Launch FS and then do FR.

I need Find Symbol References (FSR!) - possibly a dialog box, where I would type the symbol-name and hit enter and it will show the Find Reference Results for that particular symbol.

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - May 14 2012 : 11:28:43 PM
case=65917 is implemented in build 1906
accord Posted - Apr 11 2012 : 8:05:59 PM
What about using auto-hide? Anyway, VA View can be used for both Find References and Find Symbol. VA View shows details after hovering, so you can use right click -> Find References over any symbol in the lower part. Alternatively, you just turn on "update on current scope" which will show the current "related" class as you move the caret (so even when you are in a method of that class) or if you turn on "Update on position change" you will get the details of the symbol which the caret is over. I like the former To use Find Symbol, just type the symbol into the second editbox. Give it a test drive, maybe you will like it We would like to keep the user interface as simple as possible, this is why we discuss feature requests in detail.
AjayV Posted - Apr 10 2012 : 10:43:37 PM
I wasn't aware of. But, I don't like those extra view (no offend to VAX, but in general).
Just for the sake of "history", I wont use this view. It doesn't have Find References, and is not quick to launch and use.
I see VAX is already maintaining the history, so it just need few control(s) in Find Symbol dialog box! :)
feline Posted - Apr 10 2012 : 3:29:42 PM
Are you aware of the Most Recently Used list, which lists symbols you have searched for:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/mru.asp
AjayV Posted - Apr 10 2012 : 2:07:10 PM
Yup. I forgot the existing usage of Up/Down!
In a large code base, having multiple projects, and even different solutions open (multiple IDEs), we tend to forget (or say, lose track) what symbol we searched for. The symbols are not just structs or classes, but functions, enums, macros etc.
VAX is great tool, and features like Add-include, Create Implementation/Declaration really help to get work done faster (without LOSING TRACK).
So, IMO, having history of symbols would be super-great feature.
accord Posted - Apr 10 2012 : 1:51:49 PM
Interesting idea. However, I think that with comboboxes, you usually use up/down on the keyboard to open the history. We already use it to move the listbox up and down. So you would either need to use the mouse or a special shortcut which wouldn't be intuitive or tangible.
Normally, you need to type in a very few characters to find your symbol, thanks to partial mach(es), which shouldn't take more time than using any type of history, IMO.
AjayV Posted - Apr 09 2012 : 02:04:34 AM
Did not open another topic for this, though the feature would be new.

Couple of times I need to search symbols I searched before. It wuold be great if FS dialog box can show history of symbols searched for.
The same edit box may be made an editable combobox, IMO! :)
accord Posted - Apr 06 2012 : 11:23:33 PM
Sensible suggestion. I have put in a feature request for this:

case=65917
AjayV Posted - Apr 06 2012 : 10:53:37 AM
Great. I didn't know about context menu in the FS dialog box. For now it will work for me. And for this quick-fix I have suggestion.
The Edit control is smart enough and handles UP/DOWN arrow keys and sends the same to the list-control above, and therefore selection changes. What if the same edit-control can also handle these shortcuts (especially the Ctrl+F). This will make the task more fast (though not the fastest way I was expecting).
accord Posted - Apr 06 2012 : 10:09:48 AM
I have good news. You can do it via using the Find Symbol dialog! Just hit alt+shift+s, type in the symbol name, right click on the symbol and select find references from the menu.
If you are a keyboard-only guy, you have 2 ways to do this: after you found the symbol via find references,
1. press shift+alt+tab then context button on keyboard
2. press shift+alt+tab then Ctrl+F

You need Shift+Alt+Tab because you are typing into the editbox by default so you need to move the focus to the listbox.

Hope this helps.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000