Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 style-cop comments

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
haraldh Posted - Feb 08 2012 : 7:44:02 PM
i really like your feature of selecting a bunch of lines, then press / and all of them get a // in front.

however, style-cop insists on having 4 slashes when it's at the beginning of a line.

i am suggesting a flag in the VA options to choose whether one wants 2 or 4 slashes.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Feb 29 2012 : 1:11:53 PM
case=64628 is implemented in build 1901

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet10

DWORD value: LineCommentSlashCount
default is 2

Replace VANet10 with appropriate subkey for other IDEs (VANet9, VANet8, VANet, VA6)
haraldh Posted - Feb 29 2012 : 06:57:06 AM
i just that a registry option (LineCommentSlashCount) was implemented in version 1901. thanks a lot! the quick response is much appreciated!
haraldh Posted - Feb 10 2012 : 9:24:17 PM
thanks a lot for making it a feature request and for the suggestions. i will try them.
feline Posted - Feb 10 2012 : 11:29:26 AM
As a temporary work around, you can use an IDE macro to comment and uncomment like this. Here is an initial attempt at a macro to do this, which I have tested in VS2008 with C++ code:

' select a block of lines and then trigger this
    ' it comments out code lines and uncomments comment lines
    Public Sub ToggleCommentStyleCop()
        Dim objTxtSel As TextSelection = DTE.ActiveDocument.Selection
        Dim colRanges As TextRanges = objTxtSel.TextRanges
        Dim objRange As TextRange
        Dim pointStart, pointEnd As EditPoint

For Each objRange In colRanges
            Dim nLineLength As Integer = objRange.EndPoint.AbsoluteCharOffset - objRange.StartPoint.AbsoluteCharOffset
            If nLineLength > 0 Then
                pointStart = objRange.StartPoint
                pointEnd = objRange.EndPoint

Dim strLine As String = pointStart.GetText(pointEnd)

Dim RegexObj As New System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex("^[\\t ]*////")
                If False = RegexObj.IsMatch(strLine) Then
                    pointStart.Insert("////")
                Else
                    ' work out what the line should turn into
                    ' by removing only the leading / characters
                    Dim nCommentPos, strBeforeComment, strAfterComment
                    nCommentPos = InStr(strLine, "/")
                    strBeforeComment = Mid(strLine, 1, nCommentPos - 1)
                    strAfterComment = Mid(strLine, nCommentPos + 4)
                    ' then replace the line with the new version
                    pointStart.ReplaceText(pointEnd, strBeforeComment & strAfterComment, vsEPReplaceTextOptions.vsEPReplaceTextKeepMarkers)
                End If
            End If
        Next
    End Sub

It probably has a few edge cases it does not handle correctly, but hopefully this will help for now. If the macro does something useful for you on your syste, you can bind a keyboard shortcut to this macro, so you can trigger it directly.
accord Posted - Feb 10 2012 : 07:56:17 AM
I have put in a feature request to see what the developers make of it:

case=64628

For now, you can use the uncomment feature to uncomment a commented block:

Edit -> Advanced -> Uncomment selection

You can assign a single shortcut for them, since they are also commands like the other menu items: Edit.CommentSelection and Edit.UncommentSelection. Use the following dialog to bind the shortcuts:

Tools -> Options... -> Environment -> Keyboard
haraldh Posted - Feb 09 2012 : 2:57:46 PM
i can use the ide's "Ctrl E, C" twice around a selection. that does the trick. but requires five key presses compared to pressing VA's / twice.
BUT - and this really makes the ide's Ctrl E,C a non-solution - it does not operate as a toggle. when i want to remove the comments i have to tediously select and remove them manually.

i have been a loyal customer for many years, paying my yearly subscription. this is the first time i am requesting a feature. this feature can be added in 10 minutes tops, since it doesn't effect anything else and the logic is already there. all you have to do is output 2 more / based on checking a check-box, which you can bind to a boolean.

i thought it wasn't too much to ask. guess i was wrong...
accord Posted - Feb 09 2012 : 12:38:10 PM
Thank you for the detailed description. And what about Edit -> Advanced -> Comment menu, which can be bound to a keyboard shortcut, and does a very similar thing? Generally, we try to avoid adding too much option to the option dialog, and also, this request is a kind of special case. Or pressing star over a selection is an another way to deal with this situation. It surrounds the code with the other style of comment.
haraldh Posted - Feb 08 2012 : 10:26:37 PM
style-cop enforces code style (not content, just looks) guidelines developed (and used) by microsoft. most of the .NET libs are written with it.

style-cop has no settings whatsoever. nothing can be configured. my current contract (C# and C++) enforces style-cop.

at first it is a huge pain in the ass because some of the rules are indeed way over the top and seem ridiculous. but now that i have used it for a while i must say the core set of rules it enforces makes my code much more readable and maintainable. i am seriously contemplating using it even for my private projects.

with regard to most of the rules VA is not in the way at all. in fact it is a great help, as it always has been.

it is just this comment with // thing that bugs me. i figure it is a very simple mod in your code. just make it an option in the "General" section of VA options. something like "use //// instead of //". shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to implement and test - et voila!

hope this helps.
i am sure there are others here who use style-cop (voluntarily or not) who would appreciate it. this is my second contract where the company insists on using it...
accord Posted - Feb 08 2012 : 9:00:26 PM
I would like to understand your background, first. I have never used style-cop myself, and I'm wondering if wasn't it be easier to just change this setting in the program? I mean, it is possible? Or is your company also expect you to use this style?

Have you tried Edit -> Advanced -> Comment selection (or the keyboard shortcut for it)?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000