Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Code window redraw issue

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sies Posted - Nov 29 2011 : 11:45:32 AM
I'm having problems with Visula Studio code window not refreshing properly when I re-size the IDE (please see attached screenshots). I also see graphic artifacts on screen while scrolling. I'm only seeing this on my new Windows 7 x64 machine (xp didn't have any issues with the same VA build). I have also tried updating the graphics card driver with no luck. Uninstalling the VA plugin makes the issue go away. Does anyone know what may be causing this and how can can get it fixed?

Thanks.

Setup:
Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1
ATI FirePro V4800
Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (9.0.30729.1)
Visual Assist X Build 1859

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 11 2012 : 12:39:28 AM
case=4655 is fixed in build 1903
feline Posted - Mar 29 2012 : 10:53:45 AM
Is there any pattern to when you still have redraw problems? If this is triggered by some specific action then it would be good to know the trigger.
zhenghongzhi Posted - Mar 28 2012 : 10:28:51 PM
It fixes parts of my issue On VS2008 Win7 x64, but sometimes redraw problem still happens. Hope 1902+ release soon! Thank you!
sean Posted - Mar 22 2012 : 8:35:18 PM
Sorry about the timing. You can request a trial extension to get more time with it and decide if you want to renew: http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
sies Posted - Mar 22 2012 : 01:53:53 AM
It fixes my issue as well. Unfortunately I'm having to run the software in trial mode since my licence expired with Build 1862. I hope I would be eligible for the fix when it comes out. I've been plagued by this issue for a while now.
titusbarik Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 11:18:25 PM
I can confirm that the graphics glitch is now gone using the interim DLL. Great! Resizing the window or scrolling using the scroll wheel no longer causes the source code text to become corrupted visually.
sean Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 8:40:33 PM
We don't usually post links to interim dlls in the forum, but since there is so much interest in this particular issue we'll go ahead in this case.

This download will be removed when the next build of VA is posted, so please do not respond that the download no longer works when build 1902+ is posted (1902+ will have the fix as well).

Please make sure that you are using the latest version of VA. If you do not already have build 1901 installed, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup1901.exe

Exit all instances of VS.
Rename your installed version of VA_X.dll to *.dl (VA is typically installed to C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Visual Assist X).
Download http://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_1901.3.zip
Extract the new dll from the zip into the VA install directory.
sies Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 8:21:29 PM
Sean,
Can you sent me the fix as well? I can help test it out on my machine.
mikeblas Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 6:23:25 PM
Sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I ended up opening a support ticket since VS+VAX had essentially become unusable on my development machine. After a few rounds of troubleshooting and testing a private build, we found something that works and the support rep said it would be released soon.

I'm thrilled that it is fixed!
sean Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 5:05:13 PM
Private mail sent to titusbarik.

The next build of VA will greatly improve the behavior.
JCaldwell Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 5:05:09 PM
so far the file that Sean sent me has fixed the issue and has not caused any stability issues.
titusbarik Posted - Mar 21 2012 : 4:32:29 PM
Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same problem as JCaldwell, using the latest version of the trial on the web site. My hardware is slightly different: NVIDIA NVS 4200, but also running Windows 7 x64 Professional. Same graphics glitch using Visual Studio 2008.
JCaldwell Posted - Mar 20 2012 : 5:23:14 PM
Testing out the fix now.
sean Posted - Mar 20 2012 : 5:04:49 PM
Private mail sent to JCaldwell.
JCaldwell Posted - Mar 20 2012 : 12:43:59 PM
I am also having this issue with two desktops in my company.

Both x64, both have ATI video cards (different cards) and have dual monitors.
feline Posted - Feb 17 2012 : 5:00:16 PM
Are you running Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? The problem most people seem to be encountering is a lot more common under Windows 7 64bit, but still "random", some machines have the problem while others don't.

Are you only seeing the resize problem when resizing with the mouse? If so does maximising and restoring the IDE with Windows key + Up arrow and Windows key + Down arrow make any difference?
mikeblas Posted - Feb 17 2012 : 2:09:46 PM
I'm having this problem too. I'm using Visual Assist X Version 10.6.1862.0 built 2011.12.13 on Windows 7 Professional on Visual Studio 2005 (which seesm to be version 8.0.50727.867).

How do I get Visual Assit to repaint sensibly?

feline Posted - Dec 09 2011 : 12:34:16 PM
If you have the time, can you please try rebooting into safe mode, and see if you still see this resize problem with the nested windows example program?

I am searching for clues as to why some computers show this problem and others do not, and so far I have been unable to reproduce this problem myself.
sies Posted - Dec 08 2011 : 4:48:19 PM
I have Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1.
I have a Dell mouse which simply uses the default OS drivers. I do not have any additional mouse SW.
feline Posted - Dec 08 2011 : 1:04:17 PM
Unfortunately you are seeing exactly the same problem as one of our developers. When I manually resize this program with the mouse all of the nested windows resize correctly.

Which version of Windows are you running? I am testing under Windows 7 Professional. I would not expect the Windows version to matter here, but there is a difference somewhere.

It is possible one of the programs or utilities you have installed is a factor here. What software, if any, have you installed for your mouse? We have had reports that uninstalling Microsoft IntelliMouse drivers fixed a crash when running Visual Studio via Remote Desktop, so mouse drivers do occasionally seem to cause some unexpected problems.
sies Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 6:54:17 PM
The controls on the title bar, alt-spacebar and win key + up arrow all worked correctly. But when I manually stretched the window, it did not resize correctly (see image below).

Also, I do not have the Setpoint software from Logitech.

feline Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 2:50:22 PM
At the 3rd link I posted above one of the replies included a sample solution that reproduced the problem for one of our developers. For ease, I have uploaded the exe this solution produced:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/colin/forumimages/case_46555_NestingExample.zip

If you download and run this (unsigned) program, and then resize or maximise it, are all of the child windows resized correctly? On my Windows 7 64bit test machines all of the windows are being resized correctly, but this fails for one of our developers.

In the forum comments one user said that running the Setpoint software from Logitech triggered this problem. Do you have this software running on your system?
sies Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 12:29:40 PM
Unfortunately, reinstalling Windows is not an option for me since this is a work computer. Are there any tests I can run to determine if this is the "recursive resize" problem that others have reported? Maybe another plugin that triggers a similar behavior to rule out VA?
sies Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 12:22:46 PM
feline,
I do not see the issue when using "Windows Key + Up arrow" and "Windows Key + Down arrow".
feline Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 11:56:40 AM
A suggestion from another user who is reporting a very similar problem, can you try using "Windows Key + Up arrow" and "Windows Key + Down arrow" instead of the title bar buttons to maximise and restore the IDE window. Does this make any difference?

These keyboard shortcuts require Windows 7, but since you are running Windows 7 this is an option.

The fact that this does not happen with the IDE in safe mode makes sense, since the "recursive resize" problem is not actually caused by VA, it is encouraged by VA. What has always puzzled me about this problem is why some methods of maximising the window trigger this, while other methods do not trigger this.
accord Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 11:21:15 AM
If it is the "recursive resize" problem (I believe it is: both the symptoms and the workaround are very similar), then unfortunately it is very hard (or maybe even impossible) to tell what causes it, and how to fix it without reinstalling Windows, which may help (I remember a user who had succeeded via reinstall the whole system from scratch but cannot find the conversation ATM. It would be offensive and not practical to offer it as a workaround anyway). It can happen both on 32 bit and 64 bit Windows, but it is much more probably on x64 versions.

According to a Microsoft reply in the linked report "Thanks to shell architecture change in Visual Studio 2010, this issue should no longer exist for Visual Studio 2010."
sies Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 09:54:16 AM
FWIW, I do not see the problem when I start Visual Studio in safe mode: "devenv.exe /safemode". That basically disables all addins (In my case, only Visual Assist).
I even tried restoring Visual Studio to default settings by running: "devenv.exe /resetsettings", but that doesn't help either.
sies Posted - Dec 07 2011 : 09:28:56 AM
I just have two addins installed: visual assist and visual git extension. I uninstalled the git plugin, but I'm still seeing the problem.

feline Posted - Dec 06 2011 : 3:48:43 PM
Using the Alt-Space menu seems to help avoid this resize problem, but I don't think anyone has ever reported this being on a per tab / per file basis before.

It almost sounds as if another IDE plugin is a factor, as if something else is effecting how files are displayed.

Can you just double check for me in:

IDE Tools menu -> Add-in Manager... -> Add-in Manager dialog

you should only see one entry, "Visual Assist X". Is this all you have?
sies Posted - Dec 03 2011 : 01:15:20 AM
I'm not seeing the issue when I maximize the IDE window via the Alt-Spacebar menu (both through keyboard and mouse). Another thing I observed was that once I use the alt-spacebar menu for a particular code window tab, subsequent resizing for that tab works properly (via any method). Although if I open a new tab, that would still exhibit the issue until I use the alt-spacebar menu. Hope that provides some helpful hints.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000