Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Dialog Delay for "Find Symbol" in Large Solutions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pbrown Posted - Feb 08 2011 : 10:57:25 AM
One of the features of VAX that I use most frequently is "Find Symbol" (Shift-Alt-S) and the equivalent box in the "VA View" window.

It's incredibly useful, but there is one significant annoyance -- opening the dialog takes approximately 3 seconds my large solution, which has 615K symbols. There is a similar delay in the "Symbols in Solution" text box in the "VA View" window. This delay occurs whether or not there was previous text in the dialog box (i.e., if I last searched for "FancySymbol", opening the dialog box again will be automatically populated with matches). I'm assuming that the delay occurs because VAX is sifting through the symbol database and/or populating the dialog box with the matching symbols.

It would be really slick if this startup work could be done in the background, with the dialog box popping up immediately (empty, if required) and allowing the user to start typing a symbol name. Typically, it will take a several seconds for me to type in the symbol name I'm searching for -- or a portion of it. Doing this typing in parallel with whatever setup is required should lead to a better overall time to get the final result(s). And it feels like a better user experience to be able to enter Alt-Shift-S followed by the symbol name in a quick series of keystrokes, even if it takes a second or two to get the results.

Once the dialog is opened, the interactivity of "Find Symbol" is quite good, even for such a large symbol database. My development system isn't underpowered (6-core AMD CPU w/ 8GB RAM); it's just a really large solution.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 08 2013 : 12:34:45 PM
Thank you for the update, it is good to know that the new version has helped so much
pbrown Posted - Jan 07 2013 : 1:14:07 PM
I just renewed and updated to version 1925, and it works great! In addition to allowing me to start typing immediately, it seems that parsing my massive pile of symbols is a good bit faster as well.
support Posted - Dec 17 2012 : 11:25:22 PM
case=54946 is implemented in build 1925
kennyl Posted - Feb 09 2011 : 01:07:10 AM
With "Show only symbols defined in current workspace" checked, "Find Symbol" loads 300k symbols in ~8 seconds at the first time, and it takes ~2 seconds after that.

VAX: 10.6.1830
pbrown Posted - Feb 08 2011 : 4:13:24 PM
I already have "show only symbols defined in the current solution checked"; the count is 835K without it. With "only classes, structs, and namespaces" the count is 22K and the dialog box responds effectively instantaneously.

sean Posted - Feb 08 2011 : 4:01:52 PM
615K symbols - wow. Just curious, what is the count if you check the "Only classes, structs and namespaces" box? If you leave the box checked and then re-open the dialog, is there any change in the amount of time it takes to display?
accord Posted - Feb 08 2011 : 2:27:20 PM
Interesting idea. I've put in a feature request to see what the developers make of it:

case=54946

Anyway, is "Show only symbols defined in current solution" ticked on the bottom of the dialog? It speeds up the process.
Also, you can type while the dialog is being shown: the text will be in the editbox after the dialog is shown.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000