Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 What I really want

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lee.marshall Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 6:45:42 PM
I couldn't figure who would actually listen to this. Then I saw your logo on the VA Outline tab and thought maybe you'd be interested. I'm a user of VAssistX who thinks more would be better....

By biggest Visual Studio 2005 problems right now are with debugging. It's too hard to add data breakpoints. I should be able to click something in the Watch, Locals or Autos window and have it create a breakpoint on its memory location. Maybe you can make it be that easy?

Other debug environments I've used use the vpointer to determine the implementation type of an object to make all its members available even when it's pointed to by a pointer to some abstract interface. No such luck with Visual Studio: you can see the real type by looking at the methods the vtable points to, but it won't show you the members!

Microsoft is an eyes and ears closed behemoth. But you guys are small and agile. Can you enhance your product to help me?
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 9:10:00 PM
Debugging abstract types: it had been improved in Visual Studio 2008. So for example if you have a hierarchy like this:

class cObject {
};

class cTest : public cObject {
    int Apple;
};

and you are debugging a code like this:

cObject* obj = new cTest;
>int something;

then you will be able to access the value of Apple by typing obj->Apple into the watch window.

Using memory breakpoints also had been simplified in VS2008, since the only thing you have to do is to place the variable into the clipboard, paste into the new data breakpoint window and to place '&' before the variable name.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000