Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 ALT-G on CTRL + Left Mouse click...pleeeease

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sasa Posted - Mar 28 2009 : 11:18:52 PM
I know I have asked this in the past.

Please implement the option of having the ALT-G on CTRL + Left click.

Eclipse does it, and Resharper does it wonderfully.

Thanks.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 13 2014 : 10:41:36 PM
If I understand correctly, you have installed two different extensions, and asked both of which do something, something different to each other, on Ctrl + left mouse click.

This is not a conflict we can resolve, since we don't know what you want to happen here. You can turn off VA's handling of Ctrl + left mouse click, removing the conflict. I have installed Go To Definition, and so far I am not seeing any options or settings for this extension, so I am not sure if you can turn off its Ctrl + left mouse handling.
Shockeru Posted - Nov 12 2014 : 2:21:20 PM
I am sorry, you are right, the "Go To Definition" extension ( https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/4b286b9c-4dd5-416b-b143-e31d36dc622b ) was behind this issue.
I am keeping that extension enabled to obtain the "underlining" we were talking about earlier which is extremely useful.
Will this issue be taken in consideration? Or it's simply considered "a conflict with unsupported extensions"?
feline Posted - Nov 11 2014 : 7:32:37 PM
Do you have any idea how you got the IDE to show the Find Symbol results on Ctrl+left click? This is not happening for me, even on a VS2013 machine that has never had VA installed on it. I am not aware of any way to tell the IDE what to do on a Ctrl+left mouse click, and am not seeing anything relevant in the keyboard settings. So I am wondering if another extension is behind this behaviour, or perhaps some software that came with your mouse?
Shockeru Posted - Nov 11 2014 : 4:57:39 PM
Is anyone else having random issues with the CTRL + LEFT CLICK randomly? For example, sometimes when I do CTRL + LEFT CLICK on a symbol VS doesn't jump to that symbol (through VAX) but instead it shows the default Visual Studio "Find Symbol Results" window which is completely annoying. Can't Visual Assist FULLY OVERRIDE the default behavior of CTRL + LEFT CLICK so it will NEVER allow visual studio to show that Find Symbol results?

This happens in VS 2013 Update 3
feline Posted - Nov 04 2014 : 10:00:54 PM
If you are already used to the underlining, presumably from the 'Go To Definition' extension, then why not keep on using this extension?

As for numeric constants and keywords, aren't you going to consider the symbol and what it is doing before deciding to use goto on it? Syntax colouring should also help here, picking out functions and variables.
Shockeru Posted - Oct 29 2014 : 07:07:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

If you are just going to go to the symbol anyway, how does the underlining help?

Hello. Underlining is useful for those that already got used to it, you actually know to what keyword you'll jump.
Also, some keywords don't have any GO TO (like numeric constants, language keywords [return, if, etc]) so they won't underline
feline Posted - Jul 09 2014 : 8:05:35 PM
I have installed the extension 'Go To Definition', but it only underlines the symbol the cursor is over. If you are just going to go to the symbol anyway, how does the underlining help?

Are you finding problems with trying to use VA go to on symbols that VA cannot navigate to?
fboranek Posted - Jul 09 2014 : 07:53:07 AM
It great feature. It was what I was just looking for. Anyway I would prefer also underlining words when ctrl is being pressed and a mouse is on the word. The same way as Netbeans do it or extension 'Go To Definition' for Visual Studio.
support Posted - Aug 22 2009 : 7:27:17 PM
case=30191 is fixed in build 1731
sean Posted - Jul 29 2009 : 01:24:02 AM
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. That should fix the problem hxpb noted too.
case=30191
Legendweaver Posted - Jul 27 2009 : 11:03:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you aware that you can turn off this command:

VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> Execute Goto upon Ctrl+Left-Click in text editor

Mouse commands are normally triggered on mouse up, not mouse down. Press down and hold down the mouse button over an IDE toolbar button and move the mouse pointer off the button before releasing the left button, and the toolbar button is not triggered.

Yes, I am aware I can disable this command - after all, I had to enable it since it's off by default =).

However, my point is not that I dislike the functionality (quite the opposit; I seconded the original poster's request) but rather that the current behavior is not in line with other editors which have similar ctrl+click code navigation.

Perhaps it would be more clear if I was more explicit. In both Eclipse and Netbeans, if you first press ctrl, then left click, then release, a "goto" action is executed. Thusfar, the behavior of VAX is similar. The difference is that in both Eclipse and Netbeans, if you click down THEN press ctrl THEN release the mouse, it does NOT execute a "goto" action. This avoids a wide variety of unintentional "goto" actions, including the case I described. So what I meant is that VAX should check the state of ctrl at the time of the mouse down event, rather than the mouse up event, even if the "goto" itself is executed on mouse up.
feline Posted - Jul 27 2009 : 3:57:01 PM
Are you aware that you can turn off this command:

VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> Execute Goto upon Ctrl+Left-Click in text editor

Mouse commands are normally triggered on mouse up, not mouse down. Press down and hold down the mouse button over an IDE toolbar button and move the mouse pointer off the button before releasing the left button, and the toolbar button is not triggered.
Legendweaver Posted - Jul 27 2009 : 10:48:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

It should only be happening on mouse up. Which IDE are you experiencing this problem in?
Do you have any other addins installed?

Then my issue could be solved by activating on mouse down, rather than mouse up. The problem most frequently occurs when I'm quickly copying + pasting several lines of text. I haven't yet released the mouse, but I press ctrl, planning to follow it with c or x for copy or cut. Instead, the goto functionality is executed. If the the goto occured on mouse down instead, I wouldn't accidentally jump when executing other ctrl+ commands on selected text.
hxpb Posted - Jul 21 2009 : 08:42:38 AM
I think the problem with "unexpected activation" happens if you double-click on something to mark it and then want to copy it with STRG+C. If you press STRG to early you execute the goto... happens to me quite often.
Any way to filter double clicks?
sean Posted - Jul 14 2009 : 1:20:38 PM
It should only be happening on mouse up. Which IDE are you experiencing this problem in?
Do you have any other addins installed?
Legendweaver Posted - Jul 14 2009 : 12:25:56 PM
Thanks for implementing this. However, it sometimes activates when unexpected. I think that the behavior of this feature would be more in line with other editors if it activated only on the left-click DOWN event, rather than both up and down, if that's possible.
sean Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 9:17:29 PM
case=25632 is implemented in build 1727
VA Options | Advanced | General | Execute Goto upon Ctrl+Left-Click in text editor
ricardog Posted - May 26 2009 : 8:23:52 PM
VS2010 Beta 1 comes with an extension which enables this feature, but I didn't like it, because I'm used to select the whole word with Ctrl+Left-click (it's very useful when you're replacing words by pasting on them). Maybe it would be better if this feature used Ctrl+Right-click or just Middle-click instead.
feline Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 1:09:47 PM
mwb1100 have a look at this page, search for "VSMouseBindings"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300778.aspx

if you can find a working link to this it might help, depending on your IDE.

Alternatively my Microsoft 5 button mouse came with software that lets me re-map mouse buttons to custom commands. I have not tried to do anything clever with this, but you might be able to do something with your mouse driver if you have a "fancy" mouse.
mwb1100 Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 12:56:17 PM
quote:

mwb1100: you want to see "Goto (VA X)" in the IDE context menu so that you don't have to type alt+g, is that correct?

I misspoke - I don't mean in the right click menu;in the right mouse menu, Visual Studio's "Goto Definition" works well enough in most cases. I mean in the menu displayed when you click the little down-arrow mouse target VAX shows when you hover over an identifier.

It's just a habit I can't break - for some reason when I'm mousing around (often happens when I'm first looking over a body of code) I continually click on that thing to do a "Goto Implementation", even though after a couple years of using VAX it should be wired into me that it isn't there...

I know that there's a button for this in the upper right corner ofthe editor window (and of course there's Alt-G), but that seems like it's miles away from where I'm instinctively looking for it.

This is by no means a huge deal - the alternatives work, and I'm not sure why I still look for it in the drop-down (or whatever you call that thing). I shouldn't hijack this thread, but it seemed somewhat related, so I dropped in my reminder (even though I put in wrong info about the RMB).
sean Posted - Apr 28 2009 : 4:04:46 PM
mwb1100: you want to see "Goto (VA X)" in the IDE context menu so that you don't have to type alt+g, is that correct?
mwb1100 Posted - Apr 28 2009 : 1:21:01 PM
In a somewhat related vein, I'd also like to be able to have VAssistX.GotoImplementation show up in the right mouse menu (with a nicer name, of course).

I think I had a case opened up for this a while back... Ah yes: case=3651

Is there any way to configure this (even using some 3rd party mouse driver/enhancer)?
Legendweaver Posted - Apr 28 2009 : 12:43:46 PM
I second Sasa's request for CTRL + left click taking you to source. I'd also love to see something like ALT + left click opening something like the intellisense window, but filled with the contents of a find references search.

I most frequently use CTRL + left click to follow chains of function calls DOWN when I'm exploring unfamiliar code (when I'm forced to code in Java), and if I could use ALT + left click to follow potential function calls UP, it would be easy to explore all potential contexts in which a function can be called.
Sasa Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 4:02:18 PM
OK, thanks sean
sean Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 12:21:08 PM
I couldn't find a case for this. I've opened case=25632 so that we can contemplate it.
Sasa Posted - Apr 01 2009 : 2:45:47 PM
quote:

Would you expect the word to be selected after you ctrl+click or do you expect to lose that behavior?

I never used that behavior. I just double click to select a word.

So Ctrl+Left does an ATL-G in simiar fashion to other plugins that do it right now.
sean Posted - Mar 31 2009 : 8:34:57 PM
Would you expect the word to be selected after you ctrl+click or do you expect to lose that behavior?
Sasa Posted - Mar 31 2009 : 7:53:35 PM
Hey feline,

I just use a generic mouse so no remapping feature here.

Also when the CTRL key is clicked, the IDE underlines the word as a URL.

Pretty awesome features of Eclipse and Refactor if you ask me. But the vibe I am getting from you is that it is not in the cards for VAX?
feline Posted - Mar 30 2009 : 11:42:30 AM
Have you looked into any form of program to overload / remap mouse key presses? It is possible the software that came with your mouse already lets you do this.

The "best" solution here is to allow the user to map these actions to their own custom command. As soon we we hard code it, people are going to want to change it.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000