Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Filename Rename

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AGPX Posted - Oct 08 2007 : 02:09:57 AM
It should be a really good feature , that a specific rename for include that renames file and renames all #includes related with the file.This feature can be integrated to solution explorer.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 13 2012 : 2:04:28 PM
case=1463 is implemented in build 1916
accord Posted - Oct 17 2007 : 5:50:26 PM
In the worst case we can replace this feature by a VB script:
1. Call VAX rename file
2. Call Source Control rename

But certainly it would be more comfortable in VAX.
Maybe a warning at first time rename? (for example: you have set custom Source Control command. Incorrect setup may lead to data loss. Are you sure to want to rename the file?)
feline Posted - Oct 17 2007 : 08:42:28 AM
I have put a note about this idea onto the case. It is a very interesting idea, assuming it is setup correctly by the end user.

Speaking as support my main concern at this point is the user who has this setup wrongly, renames most of their files, and then asks Whole Tomato to fix their source control system
accord Posted - Oct 15 2007 : 4:10:04 PM
sl@sh: excellent idea! seriously.

...and I agree with AGPX: a registry setting, or (even better) a string @ refactoring "tab" in VAX's options dialog is a more polished solution.

When I rename a class, usually rename it's file also, because I often use a very similar name.
AGPX Posted - Oct 15 2007 : 09:49:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sl@sh

While many SCS's don't even support file renaming (this means you *will* lose file history, no matter what you do!), some do. However, those that do probably require some specific method to maintain the link to the old history, e. g. Subversion has a special rename command - simply renaming the file using the file system will make subversion forget about it's history still!

One solution would be for VAX to call the proper SCS command for renaming, but obviously VAX cannot reasonable deal with all existing SCSs out there.

Here is a better solution: Have VAX invoke a MS DOS batch file (for those who still know what MS DOS is....). Per default, it's content could be a simple command to rename a file:
move %1 %2

Users could modify this file to invoke their repository client, e. g. for subversion they could call:
svn move %1 %2

What do you think?

Much better but, instead of batch file it could be script string saved in registry,called by VAX in necessary conditions.Also it should be optional.Even this solution provides SCS synchronization , Some continuous integration systems needs commit process done with all other changes
sl@sh Posted - Oct 15 2007 : 05:47:45 AM
While many SCS's don't even support file renaming (this means you *will* lose file history, no matter what you do!), some do. However, those that do probably require some specific method to maintain the link to the old history, e. g. Subversion has a special rename command - simply renaming the file using the file system will make subversion forget about it's history still!

One solution would be for VAX to call the proper SCS command for renaming, but obviously VAX cannot reasonable deal with all existing SCSs out there.

Here is a better solution: Have VAX invoke a MS DOS batch file (for those who still know what MS DOS is....). Per default, it's content could be a simple command to rename a file:
move %1 %2

Users could modify this file to invoke their repository client, e. g. for subversion they could call:
svn move %1 %2

What do you think?
feline Posted - Oct 08 2007 : 4:03:03 PM
The idea comes up every now and then, and I agree, it is a tempting idea:

case=1463

However, unlike renaming a symbol where you can be fairly sure the code will still compile, renaming the file can cause bigger problems. Loosing the file history in source control being an obvious concern.
AGPX Posted - Oct 08 2007 : 3:49:05 PM
I think VAX should not be responsible for keeping consistency of Source Control and other environment tools like that.And if it should , there should be a way to do that , at least something like refactoring references and leaving file rename to user.I think this should help many developers because renaming a file is mostly done in many projects.
feline Posted - Oct 08 2007 : 3:18:50 PM
We have no current plans to try and do this. Renaming files opens up a whole pile of possible problems with source control systems...
accord Posted - Oct 08 2007 : 10:57:59 AM
one more vote

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000