Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 C++ Refactoring

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rain Dog Posted - Sep 27 2005 : 3:11:47 PM
I really like VAX, it adds some really nice things to C++ development that everybody else ignores, and that is one major reason why I really like it: it pushes C++ dev features =)

One thing though that I think is really missing is C++ refactoring. I think that with the success of apps like ReSharper and the loads of Java only refactoring apps, that a C++ refactoring tool that was good would really sell well.

It appears you've got the majority of the difficulty of refactoring down: the parsing of C++. I would really like to see refactoring added =(
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sasa Posted - Mar 12 2006 : 10:23:01 PM
Hi support, sorry for that. It is that I really hate spam :(

I updated the forum's profile invalid email to a valid one.

I also sent you an email via the forums with that valid email address for me. Please contact me via this address.

Thanks.
support Posted - Mar 12 2006 : 4:35:44 PM
Sasa: The email address in your profile is bogus. Can you send us a valid email address for you?
Sasa Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 5:41:31 PM
Man, refactoring in C++ is sooooooooooooooooooooo tedious. I want a good tool do it all. MS should have included refactoring out of the box with VS2005.

On the other hand I understand why it would be really hard to do a C++ refactoring tool.

IMHO the best refactoring tool is going to be the tool that gets the most feedback from actual users and has a good parser to support it, like VAX :)

So potentially best candidate for being the refactoring tool is VAX. It will be fast and efficiant, unlike the rest of them that scan the whole project tree every freking time you refactor something, simply because VAX seems to know what is happening at all time.
rhummer Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 5:16:24 PM
oo, can't wait to get my hands on the 15xx builds. Doing a big refactor job and could use a good refactor tool :)
feline Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 3:23:18 PM
now contain your excitement

the refactoring will show up in the 15xx builds, so don't be disappointed if it is not present in new 14xx builds. plus remember that the first build out will be a first beta, the idea appears to sneak up on refactoring, rather than trying to do everything at once.

i tried Ref++ myself a while ago but i was very disappointed by the experience and have been doing everything by hand since.

as for exactly what will be present, i don't know myself, so i am also eagerly waiting to find out.
Sasa Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 12:09:21 PM
No refactoring in latest beta (1442) :( :(
Sasa Posted - Mar 08 2006 : 01:19:10 AM
quote:
there is a rumor of a beta build of VA in the next few days, so for now i want to wait and see if the rumor is true, and if so what makes it into the beta.

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You mean refactoring first appearence in Visual Assist-X? :) :)

Honestly, I gave refacorPro a try, and it wasn't good at all. I gave slickEdit tools for Vs2005 and it didn't even work when using STL. I am still using ref++ because this has been the best solution so far.

I have the feeling that I will uninstall soon every refactoring plugin I have :)
feline Posted - Mar 07 2006 : 2:49:44 PM
*considers*

in one sense this is just my idea in a slightly different form. the idea of a dialog listing all member functions without bodies so you can select the ones you want to have bodies created is very tempting.

speaking as someone who uses the Qt C++ framework many of my classes contain signals and slots (Qt specific types of member function) so i can see a danger of asking VA to be to cleaver in how it shows you the member functions. after all, if we are going to list virtual functions, then why not slots?

there is a rumor of a beta build of VA in the next few days, so for now i want to wait and see if the rumor is true, and if so what makes it into the beta.

longer term i think we are both going to want to return to this question. certainly i am very keen to see the ability to create bodies for several functions all in one go.
Sasa Posted - Mar 06 2006 : 6:04:43 PM
quote:
to select a load of prototypes in a header file and create bodies.

Nice!

Another nice suggestion would be the auto-implmentation of virtual and pure virtual method.

So I right-click in a class in the class viewer, and choose "implement virtual methods" and a dialog will appear with all the virtual and pure virtual methods in base classe(s), you select wich ones you want to implement and voila, the prootypes and bodies are created on the said classe.
feline Posted - Mar 01 2006 : 6:48:08 PM
i don't actually know to be honest, but i have already requested the ability to select a load of prototypes in a header file and create bodies.

i did give some thought myself to accessor methods, but i wondered if this would open a possible can of worms. i never really did resolve this thought, so decided to wait and see what came up. VA View integration is certainly a good point, and i can see a feature request going in if it is missing in the first beta.
Sasa Posted - Mar 01 2006 : 2:24:14 PM
Will you guys be implemnting the refactoring from the VA View as well? It would have been so cool to be able to select a bunch of member variable in the VA class view and do a "create accessor methods" on them. Or to click on a method and change it's signature, both from the VA view ( class tree ) and from the actual source file, a la ref++
Sasa Posted - Feb 28 2006 : 10:27:03 AM
efortier, mec, the trick ( that is not mentioned anywhere btw ) is to install both code rush and refactorPro! on your system. After installadion, remove the DX core via the add/remove programs menu. Download the latest version of DX core from their webiste ( so in total you have to download 3 items ) and re-install it. It should work now.

efortier, please though, whenever possible, please post bug reports to devexpress support so we can get all of them fixed. It is very buggy at the moment.
efortier Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 8:34:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SasaOK, I got it to work.
How? I tried and can't get anything out of it!

Thanks for posting your comments dude!

--
Eric
Sasa Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 7:42:54 PM
Well, it is buggy so far. Here is a hard one for any C++ refactorer:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
private:
	///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
	///  Privates members
	///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/*!@brief Minimum Range defined for this integer*/	
	private: long long m_minRange;
	/*!@brief Status flag */	
	bool m_isMinRangeDefined;
	/*!@brief Maximum Range defined for this integer*/	
	long long m_maxRange;	
	/*!@brief Status flag */
	bool m_isMaxRangeDefined;

What do you do for refactoring the accesor type of one of the variables? what do you do with the per variable comment?

Here is what I suggested to them:
--
It should move the variable being refactord and the comments attached to it ( if possible comments above it, and next to it ) to a private section. If there is many, then move to first one found. If there is none, the create one and move it there.
--

That is what makes C++ refactoring very hard. I can't wait to see what the wholetomato team has in store for us! :)
Sasa Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 7:05:48 PM
Bah, you know what?

I preffer ref++ approach to refactoring rather then refactor!pro

One thing for sure. It has some nice animations, but I am still wondering what the heck they are used for
Sasa Posted - Feb 27 2006 : 6:49:15 PM
OK, I got it to work. So far, I am impressed! Will keep you posted.
Sasa Posted - Feb 26 2006 : 10:13:34 PM
Guys, I am telling you that they have C++ support on this release. For all I know they didn't update the website or something. C++ support in the latest version have been confirmed to me by the product manager himself!
jpizzi Posted - Feb 26 2006 : 5:41:57 PM
I'm sorry, but reading their site, I can find no mention of C++ support. Only VB and C#. They seem to think that qualifies as "language neutral," as if it was possible to be language neutral when dealing with source code.
Sasa Posted - Feb 26 2006 : 02:02:58 AM
I will post my impressions as soon as I can get it to work. I agree that C++ refactoring must be very hard to accomplish.

So far Refactor have failed even parsing a single file. The ticket have been reviewed but I got no answers from anyone yet.
feline Posted - Feb 25 2006 : 10:42:53 AM
it would be nice to stick my head in the sand and pretend there was no competition at all for VA but that would be slightly unrealistic.

if / when you get this working i am interested in your impressions. plus i wonder how it will handle some of the more difficult C++ code i have seen posted here over the years.
Sasa Posted - Feb 24 2006 : 7:05:41 PM
efortier, the latest version support C++

just download it from here: http://www.devexpress.com/Downloads/NET/Refactor/

So far, I could not get it to work. Support aknowledged an issue and they will see what is wrong.
efortier Posted - Feb 24 2006 : 1:46:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SasaI will leave my impressions.

Please do as I see no mention of that release on their web site!!

--Eric
Sasa Posted - Feb 24 2006 : 09:59:45 AM
Sorry, if you guys see the above mentioned products as two competing ones, then please feel free to delete my post.
Sasa Posted - Feb 24 2006 : 09:51:20 AM
Hey! Code Rush and Refactor Pro for C++ product has just been released!

I will leave my impressions.
Sasa Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 10:24:39 PM
Feline, well, the products were Refactor and CodeRush ( great products ) for C++.

I got a beta approval, but haven't received anything from the guys yet. I have the feeling they forgot about me :(
feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 4:13:55 PM
none that i know of, but VA and at least one other company have such things in the works. you may want to have a look at http://www.refactoring.com/ since they have links to various interesting things.
efortier Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 2:13:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by felinethinking about refactoring, are you able to say anything about the product you are trying? i tried Ref++ once, but was very disappointed.

Are there any other refactoring products for C++ that works with VS2005 out there? I haven't found any yet...

And I must admit that Ref++ is now getting to be pretty hard to use, especially since I'm also using Borland's Dev Studio 2006... The speed of their refactorings is really out there! The rename has always been almost instantaneous for me under Delphi.

--Eric

feline Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 1:49:49 PM
i don't know the final decision, but the last i heard it was going to be part of VA. try not to quote me on that though

when there is something ready to beta we should get a better answer from Support on this.

thinking about refactoring, are you able to say anything about the product you are trying? i tried Ref++ once, but was very disappointed.
Sasa Posted - Feb 23 2006 : 09:34:12 AM
Btw, are you guys ( wholetomato ) planning on making refactoring a part of VAX or as a complimentary product?
Sasa Posted - Jan 31 2006 : 01:18:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by efortier

quote:
Originally posted by SasaOh! And i thought I was special ;)
Since you are on the beta team and most of us are not, you are! :)

LOL, btw, have you seen what Refactor and CodeRush do to VB anc C#? It would be soooo sweat to have that for C++

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000