Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Toggle between code and html for web pages

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nsimeonov Posted - Nov 11 2009 : 9:22:37 PM
Is there a way to use the same way to toggle between cpp and header file but for web pages?

In other words it would be nice to be able to switch to the html part and then go back to code.

What Visual Studio actually does is switch between designer and code, however this is not what I'm looking for - I left it in html (or source) view and I'd like to go back to this view not switch to design... and wait at least 5 seconds until it renders if page is a more complex.

Actually toggling between code and designer was working fine in VS 2003, but they "fixed" it in 2005 and left it the same way in 2008, so I was hoping you may help here.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kevinsikes Posted - Aug 23 2012 : 11:31:19 AM
Hello nsimeonov,

Thank you for the kind words! I have shared your compliment with our staff. We're glad Visual Assist X helps you work with VS2012 more efficiently.
nsimeonov Posted - Aug 22 2012 : 2:27:49 PM
I just installed Visual Studio 2012 and was delighted to see that Alt+O works perfectly and is switching fast between the html code and C# code. While F7/Shift+F7 are still unusable (especially if you don't use HTML designer at all).

So I'd like to thank you for the great work and saving my time.

THANK YOU!
support Posted - Nov 12 2010 : 3:26:05 PM
case=32543 is fixed in build 1836
nsimeonov Posted - Nov 20 2009 : 2:37:00 PM
Cool. With a few minor adjustments it worked for me.

Thank you :)
feline Posted - Nov 20 2009 : 2:02:13 PM
Currently Alt-O is not as intelligent as it could be about web applications / websites. I have put in a feature request to make Alt-O more aware of them:

case=35917

For now, as a temporary work around, you might find this IDE macro interesting:

http://support.wholetomato.com?W439

You should be able to use this as a basis for writing a replacement command for Alt-O to do the file switching you are looking for.
nsimeonov Posted - Nov 16 2009 : 12:40:39 PM
Since it's a web page the workaround can be as follows: when ctrl+o is pressed and file type is .aspx or .aspx.cs then alternatively it can check if .aspx (or respectively .aspx.cs or .aspx.vb) exists in the same folder as current file. A web site project may not update it's project file file because it does not exist at all (or at least it isn't saved anywhere on the disc). This should be easy and doesn't sound like a lot of code to me. Hope this helps.

btw. You guys are just great! I LOVE your product and just can't survive without it :) Keep up the good work!
feline Posted - Nov 16 2009 : 12:15:32 PM
The easy part first, when you add new files to the solution sometimes the IDE has to be restarted before VA knows about them. This is because the IDE does not always save out the changes to the solution that list the new file names on a normal CTRL-S, so VA has no way of knowing about them.

If VA does not know about files, then it will not offer Alt-O on them.

Alt-O showing a menu when it is not sure, we are considering a change to try and cut down on how often the menu is shown, when there is a matching file in the same project and other files are in other projects:

case=32543

but I am not sure if this would help here or not. Can you post the full paths for the problem files, so I can try to reproduce the problem here?
nsimeonov Posted - Nov 13 2009 : 11:21:29 PM
by the way: after I create a new web page I cannot switch between code and html using Alt+O. I have to close the project and re-open it to make it work.
nsimeonov Posted - Nov 12 2009 : 2:42:59 PM
What I'm looking for is to switch between the html code of aspx files (supposedly I switched it to html view not design mode) and the C# code. Just like switching between .cpp and .h files using a keyboard shortcut. Reaching for the mouse is too slow.

Oh I'm an idiot... while I was writing it I discovered that Alt+O is actually working :) Except it matches all files with similar name across the project - i.e. if I have default.aspx in 3 different folders I get a popup menu asking me which one of the 3 I'd like to open, but still it's better than ToggleDesigner command which does almost what I need except it switches the aspx to design mode if it was in source mode.

Anyway. If "Open Corresponding File" command can get a bit smarter for web pages it would be just perfect.
feline Posted - Nov 12 2009 : 1:58:17 PM
I don't understand. If I open a .HTML file in VS2005 there is a "bar" along the bottom of the editor with two buttons, Design and Source. So I can jump between these two things.

If you don't want to jump to Design, what do you want to jump to? Surely the "code" is the Source view?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000