Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Symbol Definition Quick overview

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Nov 13 2020 : 10:20:58 AM
I am not sure if there is somewhere, some feature that does this or something like it, if there is, I didn't find it yet.

Often when I look over existing code, I want/need to see what members a class offers or implements. More or less like the completion but I don't want to edit any code.

Of course I can go to definition, but that's not always an option or an good option, like in cases where a class is implemented in various source files.

Perfect would be something like Ctrl+Hover over a symbol, and i get an overview of the symbols members, methods, interfaces, variables, properties, etc. type + name, or name + type, something like that.

Any ideas?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 09:53:13 AM
You can un pin the VA View window, to make an always visible floating window. Once hidden, to show it again you can map a keyboard shortcut to the command:

VAssistX.VAView

and while it has focus the default keyboard shortcut to close it again is Shift+Escape, from the IDE Window menu.

Not quite mouse hover, but maybe helpful enough.
Uniwares Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 07:15:53 AM
Right, forgot about the HCB, its almost what I�d like to see. If it was "hovering" it would be perfect, usually I have a few as possible additional windows open besides the text editors. VA Goto Member is as unhandy as the VS Preview Definition, at least in this use case.
feline Posted - Nov 16 2020 : 06:59:26 AM
Two options immediately come to mind.

First the bottom section of VA View, the Hovering Class Browser. Make sure VA View is showing, and you have keyboard focus in the editor. Now hover the mouse over the class name or over a variable of the class type, and the HCB will update to list all of the members of this class. If you want to stop this displayed class information changing as you hover the mouse over other symbols, use the "pin" next to the class name at the top of the HCB section of VA View.

The other obvious option is VA's Goto Member dialog. Alt-Shift-G for Goto Related on the class instance variable, then "Goto Member" dialog, which will bring up a dialog listing the members of the class. You can search the dialog, but once you dismiss the dialog, it is no longer visible for easy reference.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000